What's new

Are these Spoilers?

Got a few vintage blade packs with some recent razor buys, and I'm wondering if the Gillette Super Stainless Steel Blades pictured below are the legendary "Spoilers?" Also I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the similarly packaged Gillette Stainless Steel Blades at bottom.

The stainless blades are the same as the spoilers, just earlier packaging. They are both technically called super stainless, but the spoiler logo is easier to identify.

The other pack I believe are super silvers, probably made in england. I'm not 100% sure on that, however.

In any case, all excellent blades from the heyday. Better than any modern blades, period.

Thanks, Nick! Barring rust problems, I'll certainly be trying them all out. FYI, the odd pack in the picture says it was made in the USA, but looks a little older, and is missing the "Super" on the label.

The main ones that you have are probably exactly the same as the spoiler. A yellow splotch with the words "The Spoiler" was added to this style when the term was used in the advertising (a few months after yours) .

The odd one you have is the first stainless blade sold by Gillette in the 1960's (They had the Kro-Man and maybe one in the UK before that). I found a newspaper ad that I cited in a thread a couple of weeks ago showing that trade dress. In 1963, there was a mad rush by the majors to bring out stainless blades. Gillette was last to the party, after Wilkinson, ASR/Personna/PAL, and Schick. Someone commented that this blade supposedly has some manufacturing issues with coatings or something. I would still use it.
Schick and ASR had quality control problems at the beginning, especially ASR. Very early stainless Schicks were just kind of dull IMHO.........

Thanks, Nick! Barring rust problems, I'll certainly be trying them all out. FYI, the odd pack in the picture says it was made in the USA, but looks a little older, and is missing the "Super" on the label.

Ah, in that case I believe it was one of the first stainless steel blades made by gillette. I haven't actually tried those early ones, but the spoilers/superstainless I have and can assure you they are incredible blades. You are in for a treat :thumbup:

Top Bottom