What's new

Barry's Shaving Kit - You Show Me Yours & I'll Show Mine.

If this was YOUR Shaving Kit, which would be your favourite razor?

• Gillette Fusion

• Gillette Fatboy

• Mergress XL

• Merkur Futur

• Gillette Slim

Results are only viewable after voting.
View attachment 151023

Barry's Shaving Kit - You show me yours & I'll show mine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right, I will get it out of the way right now. I hear you say, there's no place for a Gillette Fusion!
Well Yes, sometimes I'm in a hurry and it gives a very comfortable shave. The other point is that in my opinion the Gillette Fusion is a modern work of art, both in function and design. Now have I stirred up enough debate?

My Shaving Kit is both functional and a shear delight to use. as previously mentioned when in a hurry I consider no better razor to use than the Gillette Fusion. Now as for the rest of the kit I consider myself spoilt for choice. when using any of these razors I take time to enjoy the experience and decide which one for today during the lathering process.

This thread is not about a review of which razor is best. it's about YOUR SHAVING KIT - You show me yours & I'll show mine. The one thing to remember about reviews is that they are subjective in there context and worthy when taken as a consensus of the overall view. I have selected for my shaving kit equipment that I personally consider to be the finest tools that a man can use. But it is MY SHAVING KIT and it represents me and therefore takes nothing away from you or YOUR SHAVING KIT.

So come on, I have shown mine, now lets see yours.

PS; Please participate in the attached Poll, which asks the question;
If this was your Shaving Kit, which would be your favourite razor?
1: Gillette Fusion
2: Gillette Fatboy
3: Mergress XL
4: Merkur Futur
5: Gillette Slim

BarrysCool.

I notice that with the exception of the Fusion, you only have adjustables. I sort of went the other way with that. I've got 4 different razors in my roatation, none of them adjustable. If I want a different shave I grab a different razor. I did try the Fatboy, but it got kicked out of the rotation because although it's a fine razor, it doesn't do anything for me that my others don't do. I've got an empty slot, that may be filled by an adjustable, but the ability to adjust in and of itself is not desirable ebough to earn a spot in my rotation. Maybe if I only owned one razor I'd feel differently.

My Current Rotation by mattface, on Flickr

1. 1938 British Gillette #15 Aristocrat (Relatively heavy TTO open comb. Effortless good shaves.)
2. Bob's Razorworks Bull Mastiff with short comb New Head (Very heavy 3 piece Open comb. Great feedback, and surgical precision. really close shaves, and great when the hairs get a bit longer. Takes more care to use than the others)
3. Gillette Red Tip (decently heavy, relatively mild TTO. Just works great, hard to find fault with, though it's been neglected lately)
4. EJ DE89l (very smooth shaver, luxurious both in terms of looks and feel, and the feel of the shave. Shaves very close without feeling harsh at all. effortless, very forgiving, this would definitely be my hangover razor.)

Hi Mattface,
Nice Kit, I like your stand. Our kits are different in there composition, you might say that I like the control of an adjustable. You see, the Gillette Fatboy was my first razor followered by the Gillette Slim. I have had these for many years and that give a little bit away as to my age.
I didn't want to mention anything about my preference because I didn't want to influence the above Poll. I guess after the Poll has run its course, then I shall state my Preference. But it would appear that we are like minded in so much that we do have a rotation and enjoy useing them all.

It just occured to me that many would not be able to comment on the MERGRESS-XL because it is difficult to come by with a massive waiting list.
Also many others may not have at the ready a photo of their Shaving Kit. Oh well, out with the camera for that creative shot.

Last edited:
I voted in your poll, in spite of the fact that I've not tried either of the Merkurs, or the Fusion. So I chose my favorite of the ones that I HAVE used. I am curious about the Mergress/Progress, but I prefer a shorter handle, so I think I'd go with the regular length version, or maybe even a custom shorty knob from Cooncat Bob so it would be short enough to fit in my Hoffritz travel case.

I voted in your poll, in spite of the fact that I've not tried either of the Merkurs, or the Fusion. So I chose my favorite of the ones that I HAVE used. I am curious about the Mergress/Progress, but I prefer a shorter handle, so I think I'd go with the regular length version, or maybe even a custom shorty knob from Cooncat Bob so it would be short enough to fit in my Hoffritz travel case.

The Mergress-XL suits my large hands and it is one of the finest tools that I have ever had the privilege to shave with. I consider myself very lucky that I was able to obtain one. Unfortunatly even though I have been shaving for many many years, I am prevented posting a review of this razor due to my lack of posting numbers. So all I can say is if you are lucky enough to get on the waiting list, do so.
Further, the reason I dont /Progress is that the Mergress is also mechanically fixed to overcome Progress problems.

I don't own any of the razors you listed, except the Fatboy and the Slim. Neither is my favorite (Merkur HD is my huckleberry) but I like the fatboy better than the slim.

I don't own any of the razors you listed, except the Fatboy and the Slim. Neither is my favorite (Merkur HD is my huckleberry) but I like the fatboy better than the slim.

Hi Joe,
The Fatboy was my first razor then the Slim, both of which I have had for many years. I have just posted my vote after allowing the Poll to run for awhile so as not to influence others. However, I realise that people can only respond in one of two ways. They can either vote for the razor that they have experience with or the one that they actually desire.

I have just voted for the Mergress-XL as my favourite razor. This I indicated in my previous post, but does not prevent me from useing the others.

So you want me to vote for which one of your razors is my favorite?

Mergress XL. I own one and it gets quite a bit of use. I think my 39C slant is starting to dethrone it though.

I've never used a Futur, but I have a feeling it would be second, followed by the Slim, then Fatboy. I haven't used a cart in a decade, and I don't even plan to again so I'm just ignoring that one.

BarrysCool

I read your original post again. :001_wub: Of your razors, my favorite would be the Gillette Fatboy.

My razors are: (sorry, can't post picture at this time)
Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Slim (three of them)
Gillette (50's) Superspeed
Gillette (60's) Superspeed
Gillette (ball-end) Tech (two of them)
Merkur HD (my huckleberry)

I have not used a Fusion, and I doubt I ever will. Likewise, I haven't used the XL, but might someday. I have used the others, and the Futur is my pick of that lot.

attachment.php

Hi Guys,
I just found this image of the Gillette concept razor for 2030, lol.
If another blade is added everytime they bring out a new razor, then it just might be.

Wow, the new Gillette Fly Swat razor! Slap your face once and you will never need to shave again! :lol::lol::lol:

So you want me to vote for which one of your razors is my favorite?

Mergress XL. I own one and it gets quite a bit of use. I think my 39C slant is starting to dethrone it though.

I've never used a Futur, but I have a feeling it would be second, followed by the Slim, then Fatboy. I haven't used a cart in a decade, and I don't even plan to again so I'm just ignoring that one.

I agree the Mergress-XL is at the top for me, but I still rotate my other razors and enjoy shaving with them. It's only by shaving with other razors that make the Mergress-XL stand out.

Top Bottom