What's new

Best safety razor for a baby butt smooth shave

I was wondering which razor you guys would recommend for someone who wants to consistently have baby butt smooth shaves with the least amount of effort and irritation. I know this is a general question but hopefully someone can guide me right. There are so many different razors to choose from and so many different threads to read that I was hoping someone could give me some guidance. Thanks so much guys.

There are too many variables to say.

It depends on...
The face, the prep, the razor, the blade, the cream/soap, the aftershave treatment.

There's a magic combo for everyone. The fun is finding it.

It isn't the razor that gives a BBS shave. It's your technique.

But doesn't the aggressiveness of the razor play a factor in how close it shaves. I am using a razor I got from Rudy Vey. It's the blue one listed on his site. If I put Crystal Israeli Personna blades, I cant get a baby butt smooth shave at all. With a feather blade in there, I do indeed get a very close shave. I am just wondering if I can get a razor that's more suitable to what I like as well.

I HATE to say this because there is nothing more pleasant than my DE mornings but if it is all about BBS for you the place to start is SE.

I'd give the 1912 a go first, works great for me as well as many others here.

But doesn't the aggressiveness of the razor play a factor in how close it shaves. I am using a razor I got from Rudy Vey. It's the blue one listed on his site. If I put Crystal Israeli Personna blades, I cant get a baby butt smooth shave at all. With a feather blade in there, I do indeed get a very close shave. I am just wondering if I can get a razor that's more suitable to what I like as well.

Aggressiveness does matter, yes. Especially to a newbie. Once you've developed your technique, though, you can achieve a BBS shave with any razor. The principles are the same and apply to all razors. If you're looking for a good, mild starter razor, I'd recommend a Tech.

Last edited:
A BBS can be had with a Blue Tip. Technique vs. Agressiveness. Technique wins hands down. :yesnod:

Now if I could only score some Technique on ebay. :blink:

Not to sound like an idiot but when you guys mention "SE" are you referring to straight razors? In regards to the topic at hand, I can say that my technique is fine. I have no problems getting a great shave with a feather blade in my current razor. I just started this thread to see if a different razor might help more.

Not to sound like an idiot but when you guys mention "SE" are you referring to straight razors?

Captailn Pre-Size is talking about a single edge safety razor, not a straight. I think that relatively few people in this site make an SE their daily razor, but those who enjoy them seem to enjoy them a lot. I always feel like they are worth a go, whether or not you end up taking a permanent liking to them. :thumbup1:

P

Pjotr

What exactly defines a baby butt smooth shave? By what method do you detemine if your shave is BBS.

(1) A Merkur Futur set on #1, with a Medical Personna, an ASCO (orange box) or a Derby blade.

(2) A Gillette Slim or Super Speed Adjustible ( set on #2) with above blades

(3) An Ever-Ready SE 1912 with the Ted Pella GEM 121-3, stainless steel coated blade.

All of the above DE's are giving me BBS and at least 6 shaves per blade. The Ever-Ready 1912 with the Ted Pella blade give me about 6-7 BBS shaves. The Medical Personnas give me the smoothest shave.

P

Pjotr

............All of the above DE's are giving me BBS.... The Medical Personnas give me the smoothest shave.

There you go. How can one BBS be smoother than the other BBS? Is one baby butt hairier than the other? Let's define BBS first.

csnut18,

+1 to the above advices.

Everybody is different, and the resultant razor/blade etc choices are highly personal.

For me, the GEM/Ever-Ready 1912 with GEM PTFE Coated Stainless blades have given the best quality of shaves of any safety razor combo I have yet tried.

I normally shave with a straight, but when I do shave with a safety razor these days, it will be with a GEM SE or Schick Injector.

In addition, I do not obsess about BBS like I used to; I now take whatever the shaves gives. My shaves have therefore become much more comfortable and just as enjoyable :smile:

Good luck !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Last edited:
There you go. How can one BBS be smoother than the other BBS? Is one baby butt hairier than the other? Let's define BBS first.

I think he's talking about the quality of the actual shave. BBS is the result of the shave, smoothness is the quality of the shave.

BBS can be achieved in several different ways. He's saying that Med Preps give him a smoother shave, not a smoother face.

I heartily recommend the Edwin Jagger 89L. It is a very nice middle of the road razor (aggressiveness wise) and I've had fantastic luck with every blade I've put in it, my personal favorite being Sharks with Feathers in second.

Top Bottom