What's new

Calling all cold brew experts!

I want to try the cold brew method with my press. I have a 32 ounce French press. How many grams of coffee should I use for a 12 hr steep?

Also, do I steep in the fridge or countertop?

750ml cold water
45g medium coarse coffee

You can stick in in the fridge if you want to wait 24 hours, or put it on the counter if you want it to be done in 8-12 hours. Try both and decide the style you like the most.

Also be sure to use coffee that was roasted no more than 3 weeks ago, with beans that were ground no more than 3 minutes ago!

Good luck and let me know how it tastes.

24 ounces filtered water
44 grams freshly ground coffee (TJ's Colombian...not the best, but it's layin around)

I put it in a bodum french press carafe and covered it with saran wrap and placed it in the fridge

Sometime tomorrow I will pour it through a chemex and will report back.

Stay tuned!

Results:

Straight up: Very smooth, little brightness or acidity. Caramel, cocoa, and earthiness much more apparent.

Mixed 50/50 with milk, sugar, and ice: Tasty, but I need more coffee flavor. Perhaps a darker roast next time.

10 hrs later, I am still wired. Perhaps there is a higher caffeine concentration? I only had 8 ounces of the coffee.

Next time, I am going to increase the amount of coffee.

Results:

Straight up: Very smooth, little brightness or acidity. Caramel, cocoa, and earthiness much more apparent.

Mixed 50/50 with milk, sugar, and ice: Tasty, but I need more coffee flavor. Perhaps a darker roast next time.

10 hrs later, I am still wired. Perhaps there is a higher caffeine concentration? I only had 8 ounces of the coffee.

There is definitely more caffeine in cold brew. The reason is extraction time.

It's the same reason why espresso contains less caffeine than a cup of brewed coffee.

sorry about the short response -

1 Cup (8 oz) coarse ground coffee

4 Cups (32 oz) water

i let it set 8-10 hours; i then run it thru a fine mesh strainer 2x;

tastes VERY much like chocolate!

cream & sugar to taste;

Results:

Did you try more coffee and like it better? I wanted to like cold brewed coffee but in the final analysis it felt like I was only getting 1/2 the coffee taste, so I abandoned it. All the top end brightness was gone when brewing that way, leaving only the body. It tasted quite good when mixed with lots of milk, but I generally like to drink mine black, so I continue to hot brew.

Did you try more coffee and like it better? I wanted to like cold brewed coffee but in the final analysis it felt like I was only getting 1/2 the coffee taste, so I abandoned it. All the top end brightness was gone when brewing that way, leaving only the body. It tasted quite good when mixed with lots of milk, but I generally like to drink mine black, so I continue to hot brew.
Water temperature affects not only the rate of extraction, but also the substance that is extracted.

This is why proper temperature is so important in brewing. It is a known fact that lower temperatures (that is, below normal brewing range) reduces acidity. It's why Alan Adler says 185F in the Aeropress instructions.

When cold brewing, the same rules apply.

You can get fruit notes by extracting in stages with half the water volume each time. Also minimizes the need for salt.

I have used a Toddy for years and years, and love it. I use about 14 oz. of fairly coarsely ground coffee to about 8 cups of water, then steep 12 hours at room temperature. The today had its own, reusable filters, good for a month or more. They claim that the coffee has roughly 1/3 less acid than if brewed with boiling water. Highly, highly recommended.

Top Bottom