What's new

Hello from Indiana

Hello from rural Indiana! I started DE shaving a couple of years ago with a Merkur HD and have never looked back. I can't believe what I was missing all these years, and plan to teach my boys how to shave properly once they're old enough. Hey, I'll teach my daughter too--no reason for her to mess with "modern" disposables when she can go old-school and learn how to do it right.

I first became interested in traditional wetshaving when I was visiting Nashville, Indiana and browsed in the Nashville Knife Shop. (+1, BTW...an outstanding company and a nice guy.) Unfortunately, this business is now online-only, but I've continued to buy almost all of my shaving supplies from him. I usually use my Merkur HD, although I must admit that I do sometimes use an electric (a Braun foil-type with the automatic cleaning base) when I have to get going quickly in the morning. I also recently purchased a gold Weishi TTO, hoping to use it as a travel razor as it comes with a case. Unfortunately, the Weishi is so mild that I didn't have much luck getting a close shave, so I went ahead and spent the money to buy the Merkur travel razor and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

My favorite soap is Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood. It pairs well with the "skin food" aftershave of the same scent. I also like the Trumper creams (especially the lime one...it smells so good I almost tasted it!) I recently purchased some Col. Conk soaps, which are much less expensive and also very nice. I'm also a big fan of Proraso...what a value.

Although I originally started wetshaving at the sink, I have totally converted to shower shaving. With a cheap fogfree mirror, I've had good luck with this technique and I think it's really eliminated any skin irritation unless I'm in too much of a hurry. It's nice to not worry about making a mess while creating a nice lather. The only disadvantage is that I like to rinse my face with very cold water after the final pass, and in the shower that's just too uncomfortable, at least in the middle of the winter.

Anyway, I appreciate this forum very much and have consulted it a few times in the past. I figured it was time to go ahead and join. Thanks!

Welcome to B & B. Feel free to post any questions you may have. Browse around the forums. There is a lot going on.

Welcome to B&B! It is always cool to read how a person got into DE shaving, and where it is taking them. (shower shaving, wanting to teach your kids):thumbup1:

Welcome and enjoy, I used to live in Carmel, IN; went to Nashville a few times

rural IN is about as rural as one can get,

+1 on the Knife Shop.

ken

Top Bottom