What's new

Shotgun or Pistol for Bear Defense

I tried searching, but was unable to find any topics like this.
(maybe I not search so good? :001_rolle )

Anyway, here in Michigan there are reports of bears moving further south than they have in the past, and at several of our favorite camping spots, there have been signs of bear activity. In fact the DNR confirmed it several times to my wife and me.
She has indicated that we need a gun for bear defense, I agree. I have been around guns my entire life, she has been instructed about gun safety and has shot a few times (more training is in order for her). So my question really boils down to what some of our more experienced members think on this issue.

I'm of the opinion that a shotgun and slugs/sabots would be the best defense around camp, and on hikes, but really have been thinking it might be something like a .357 revolver...

I want something with real stopping power, reliable, and easy to operate.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, my choices are between a .357 as above or a 12 ga. "special purpose" pump like a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870.

Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.

I would go with a rifle the main reason is because we cant carry hand guns here lol. Between those 2 I'd go with the .357 having shot one its got some power to it. If you do end up with a shotgun are you going to use slugs? If not you might as well toss your shoe at it unless its right up close.

Actually a pack of fire crackers is better defense against bears. I'm no expert on guns, but I know that once a bear gets close enough for a pistol or a shotgun to be effective you've waited too long. If you shoot a bear, you better be damn sure you killed it especially at close range, because a scared bear will run away, but a pissed off bear will maul you until you cry like a little girl. Better to scare the bastard away before they get close enough for it to matter. At my Uncles cabin in Ontario when I was a kid we had a .22, and a Pack of firecrackers. Both were tried to scare away bears. The bears were not impressed by the sound the .22 made, but the firecrackers sent them running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Handguns are for people. Shotgun with slugs is the way to go. BTW I live and play in bear country.

Even time when I can't bring a shotgun, I carry a S&W .44 Mag and I feel that's not enough, but better than nothing. Take it for what it's worth.

Handguns are for people. Shotgun with slugs is the way to go. BTW I live and play in bear country.

Even time when I can't bring a shotgun, I carry a S&W .44 Mag and I feel that's not enough, but better than nothing. Take it for what it's worth.

I would agree a handgun would be my last choice as protection from bear and a shotgun would be a better option.

The only other problem I see is that if it is a Michigan State Park it is against the law to discharge a firearm or even carry fireworks into the park. If it is a private camp ground you may need to contact the owner/operator to see what they allow. I am not sure how flexible the DNR may be this year with the firearm/fireworks regulations if there are a large number of sitings though.

I have spent every summer since I was 12 in Denali, AK and while we do not get your backyard variety of bear, we do get grizzly Bear, and the weapon of choice for hikers in that area is a long barreled .357 or 44 mag. The reason is that with a pistol you can fire off a barrage of shots if a bear is attacking. And unless they allow semi-auto shotguns in your state, more rapid shots mean better survivability. A bear will not likley continue fighting if it is wounded.

Another thing that the back-country authorities recommended was a bear fogger. That is basically a pepper spray fogger for bears. My dad used one on a bear in northern California and it was impressive...Basically on a bow hunting trip we came upon a bear about 5 feet in front of us with no time to pull his sidearm, my dad sprayed it with his fogger... The bear basically ran away...they have REALLY sensitive noses....

The fire crackers are for when a bear is in the area, not when you are face to face, because you have to light them first so this is not a good choice in my opinion...

I'd like to mention that just because there are bears, does not mean that you automatically have to kill one when you encounter it. People encounter bears when out on hikes all the time...the casual encounter itself is not usually what triggers an attack...it's usually startling a bear with cubs, if they are on a kill or the person runs away that triggers the chase reflex.

Best bet is always make alot of noise when hiking so the bears will know you are there and will vacate the area...I carry a harmonica and play notes on it about every 20 minutes or whenever I encounter a switch-back on the trail. In rough country I play it all the time....Especially before I bed down for the night... This will not work for Polar Bears, since they are extremly inquisitive, but I don't suppose you have many of those in Michigan. :001_tt2:

In any case, I vote the sidearm, unless you can get a semi-auto shotgun, but seriously...who wants to go on a relaxing hike carying a 20 pound rifle? Something else to think about...

Last edited:
I'm an avid shooter and backpacker/camper. I have also backpacked in bear country for a long time, never once with a problem. I was taught from a young age about good prep; cooking away from camp, suspending or submerging food, etc. Never had fancy containers or anything. However you can't go wrong with a 12 gauge with heavy slugs or a 30/30 repeating rifle.

+1 on the 357. When I lived in Alaska thats what most carried when fishing. I have seen lots of bear, but never felt like I needed to pull a gun on one. As the saying goes I leave you alone you leave me alone. Do not leave food or trash around and you should be fine.

Top Bottom