What's new

New to the game

Hello there. I just joined the forum after doing some lurking so I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm a virgin to the wetshaving world and actually hate shaving but because of a job that is too good to pass up over a beard, I've had to figure out a way to make it enjoyable. I figured why not make it as luxurious as possible?

The reason I've hated shaving thus far is my sensitive skin and my propensity for getting ingrown hairs--which I've read is a good reason to use a single blade (i've been using the 5 blade cyborg razor thing). I ordered a merkur long handle, some muhle soap, a decent badger brush, some derby blades, and just for the hell of it, the hydrolast sample pack (i like the idea of 100%natural product...the "forms" don't really strike my fancy). They all have yet to get here but once they do, I'm sure I'll be back with questions and comments.

Talk to you all soon!

Hola SenorSimpson, lol. Welcome to the site and our fantastic obsession, ahaha. You'll find more info here than at any other site, and the members here are so very helpful and willing to lend a hand at sorting out any difficulties you may encounter.

It seems you've ordered some good gear, my only suggestion would be a blade sampler. While many, many people love Derby blades...some people's faces can't take them. Each face/beard is different and a sampler will help you find a blade that works with your razor and your face.

Read the wiki's and the tutorials, they were so very helpful to me. I also checked out Mantic59's vids on YouTube. Good luck and ask any questions you might have, and let us know how you progress. Again, welcome ;-)

Welcome to B&B!

I have the same problem with sensitive skin and I got A LOT of help here. I've only been doing this for two weeks now and there's already a significant improvement for me. Less irritation, less razor bumps. And as you said, it feels better and more luxurious. Good shaving when your stuff arrives!

Welcome to B&B!

That sounds like a good start. I would also order a blade sampler pack, and pick up some witch hazel.

Welcome aboard!

BTW, In the past, many years ago I'd get ingrown hairs as well. I stopped the ATG passes that gave me them and I haven't been bothered by them.

Then comes the single blade shaving and I see whgere I can go ATG again and supposedly I won't get ingrown hairs. So for a time I just go WTG and accept a DFS. But a BBS shave was always lurking in the back of my mind. For the past 2 weeks I've been shaving as close as possible with a BBS every day. No ingrown hairs- nada. I hope you have results as good as mine.

Here's a nice shave cream for you to try Simpson, and you can pick it up at your local grocer, drug store....wherever/whomever carries Nuetrogena products
proxy.php

(((AND))) you dont need a brush. In fact, using a brush to apply this shave cream will screw the job up. I know, I know...this flies in the face of wet shaving empiricalism, not using a brush to distribute shave cream, but you said you have sensitive skin. I've used this product a few times and have been impressed, as I am with all of the other Nuetrogena products that I use, like their face wash products I use in the shower...part of my daily shower pre shave face prep ritual

BTW, I also have and use a Merkur long handle, the model 38...which is a very nice razor using a Derby. You're gonna love it. I'm a n00b here too so welcome from one n00b to another=:)

FWIW, I consider my skin to be of the sensitive type. One thing I have found that doesn't work for me is the shave soaps in stick form...the type that are sold in sticks you spread onto your beard directly. Many here love and use them but I can't with my sensitive skin. Now I don't have a problem lathering on my face so long as I grab the soap from the source using a brush, but I can't apply the soap to my face from a stick...I just thought I'd bring that up since you said you have sensitive skin and you may want to try that type of product down the road, so I'm relating my experince to you as someone else that considers his facial skin to be a bit on the sensitive side. Forewarned is forearmed

FWIW2, 9 X's out of 10, I use shave creams and a brush to build my lather w/o any difficulty, building the lather in a shave cup then I use the brush to distribure the lather onto my face. Most of us here enjoy the exfoliating process the brush gives to your face, even those of us with sensitive skin, and badger brushes are softer than boar hair brushes. I can and have irritated my skin using a boar hair brush as boar hair is stiffer than badger. I see that you have ordered a badger brush so you're good to go

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Welcome to B&B.

While you waiting for your goodies to arrive it would be a good idea for you to look at the information at this post. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to all of your shaving needs. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget; if you have any questions just ask. :smile:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

So, I had my first shave today. I'm actually pretty satisfied with it being my first shave. I will say that the biggest issue for me was the chin and neck area...i have a weird grain pattern on my neck where the left third of my neck grows down and the rest grows to the right. My chin grows to the right as well (weird). Other than that I didn't slice my face up too bad, and on my cheeks i got a really smooth shave. I think it'll just be a matter of practice now.

aaaand today for the second time, i tried a personna red pack blade in my long handle. I feel like i just used my face in a sword fight...not even a dfs...more like semi-sas. my cheeks aren't as smooth, my neck is still stubbly...i just don't have the heart to take that blade to my face again. I think the derby's are better for my face so far.

Top Bottom