What's new

First Sampler Pack on its Way

Hey B&B Brothers (and Sisters),

I just ordered the "DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice" from West Coast Shaving. It is a 40 blade pack that contains the following blades:

Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)
Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades)
Derby Extra (5 blades)
Red Israeli Personna (10 blades)
Astra Superior Platinum (5 blades)

I already have tried the Derby's so this will give me 4 new choices. The question I am kicking around is, do I start with the Feathers or work my way up to them?

Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Make that decision the day you put the blade into the razor.
I always feel like you should shave with your choice of the day. Some B&Bers say to practice technique before going to Feathers, others say to use Feathers in order to practice technique. What an odd bunch! :w00t:

I can only suggest that you don't need to be scared of them (just cautious). Also, the second shave may be much better than the first.
Seems like a good sampler pack that WCS has put together. :thumbup1:

I agree with
you should shave with your choice of the day.

My now better prep allows me to use blades other than Feather (on occasion) and still get DFS's.

I did get my share of cuts and nicks when I first started using Feathers quite a few years ago.

Have Fun! Be Safe!

I don't think you have to fear the feathers. Just be really careful (As always!) and if you have problems with them just use another blade next time. I mean that's why you got the sample pack in the first place, right? To try them all? Best of luck!

Feathers have been getting some positive reports by users like yourself. You may want to practice your technique a few times before using a Feather.

I like the selection you made. They are all fine blades

For me it would depend on how long I have been DE shaving. If I were just starting out I would start with the Derby as you did and work my way to the Feathers. My second would probably by the Red Personnas.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Big Dog:
It was very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Feathers, Kai's, Treets, Trig, Derby's, Sharks Chrome and Gillette 7 O'clock just to name a few with my Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

When you receive your Sampler, my advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Some time ago, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Furthermore, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

My Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :lol1: ), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Thanks Christopher and everyone else. I'm hoping they arrive today so I can start on Saturday. I agree in principle with starting with the sharpest blades because I know that keeping my kitchen knives sharp makes them easier and safer to use. Of course I have a lot more experience with my Wusthofs than my EJ DE89:laugh: I think I will just go in alphabetical order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom