What's new

Has anybody tried this?

I was at harbor freight and saw this polishing compound. The blue specifically states for use on plastic. Has anybody used this? If so, how is it used and was it effective?:confused1

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-lb-blue-polish-compound-96776.html

proxy.php

Thanks,
CZ

Last edited:
I think most buffing/polishing compounds can be used on plastics. The secret is to use slow speeds and light pressure.

I recently polished out the scales on an old German straight razor, Tiger brand by the inlays, by using a piece of t shirt, rub it on a bar of polishing compound, I was using the green chrominum compound, then rubbing the scales. All work was done by hand no power wheel at all. I have a dedicated polisher with a 6x1 hard felt wheel, and a chuck where I can insert muslin wheels for different compounds.

My hand work brought the old plastic scales back to life. I probably only spent about 20 minutes polishing them. This was an old straight that had been given to me by a friend when we were stationed over in Turkey back in the early 70's. It had rattled around in my toolbox for nearly 40 years when I started reading this forum and remembered it and dug it out and cleaned it up.

You can get a similar product at Sears an other places that sell compound sticks (auto parts places?). Using compound on denim by hand is very nice, as is chucking a wheel into my lathe. I have not used blue yet, as white (al ox) gave nice results on my acryllic.

Phil

Top Bottom