What's new

Newbie from Malaysia checking in

Greetings to all members of this great forum!

First off, a simple introduction. After working for years in Singapore and then Kuala Lumpur, getting caught up in the quick and hectic pace of life there, about a year and six months back I decided to move out to a rural town in East Malaysia and take over the day to day operations of my Father-In-Law's Oil Palm Plantation and also to set-up and run a stone quarry business.

The pace of life here is considerably slower and as such I am learning to slow down and discover some of the long forgotten pleasures of life. 1 year back (after almost 20 years of cigarette smoking) I picked up an estate pipe, a selection of pipe tobacco and stopped smoking cigarettes. With cigarettes, it was always a 5-10 minute fix just to get a nicotine hit. With pipes now, it takes me 45 minutes to over an hour, but the pleasure I derive from it is well worth it. I never really enjoyed the taste of cigarette smokes but I absolutely love the taste of Pipe tobacco!!! Needless to say, with countless bouts of acquisition disorders, I now have 15 pipes in rotation and over 20 different tobacco blends in the cellar!!! :blushing:

Moving on, I have recently discovered wet-shaving, which is to me another long lost pleasure that was given up for the faster paced life. I stumbled on this forum about 2 weeks ago and now I am totally hooked/obsessed about this new hobby (can i say that?).

Equipment wise, I have only one shave cream (Body Shop Maca Root) and a Body Shop shaving brush. Being in a small town, I cannot find any of the metal DEs for sale here but I managed to pick up the Plastic Gilette Super Nacet DE. I have purchased a Wei Shi from eBay and plan to pick up either a Super Speed or a Merkur soon. Yes yes, more acquisition disorders :blush: OH and I did purchase a Straight Razor on eBay and it is also on its way but I do not think I have the guts to use that.

Shaving wise, I have shaved with the plastic DE 4 times. First shave was BBS with a couple of weepers, second not so with razor burns on a particularly stubborn spot under my chin with double the weepers. I then watched Mantic's videos and his statement "Beard reduction, not beard removal" and my subsequent 2 shaves did not have any burns or nicks with the last one being the best BBS so far.

What more can I say... I LOVE IT! I plan to get more "stuff" :w00t: but I think getting it here locally in Malaysia is difficult. Anyone here who has knowledge of local stores carrying shave creams, soaps, brushes and razors would be my instant best friend!

Well that's about it. Looking forward to more insights on this wonderful forum!
Cheers! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome to B & B. It's sounds like you have an almost idealic life in Malasia. Wonderful. Enjoy your time here. The site has so much to offer.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Welcome to B&B, glad you found us.
I spent a considerable amount of time in Port Dickson, while working at a project to the northwest at Jimah.

Don't be shy about asking questions if you have them,

Selamat datang teman saya!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hello Dan
proxy.php
from "Malaysia truly Asia" (Yay Baby!!!).

Nevertheless, welcome to the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the sun deck 'sit-a-spell'.

It sounds like you're off to a great start (I'm glad you started DE shaving and thinking about getting a Merkur Razor), and yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

That said, it is very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Feathers, Kai's, Treets, Trig, Shark Chrome, Derby's and Gillette 7 O'clock just to name a few with my DE Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

My advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Also, when I received my DE Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

The "Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials"

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :laugh:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Please don't forget once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Last edited:
Top Bottom