What's new

Good, that is, until the last drop

I smoked a corn cob pipe for about a year a few years back. Since then, I smoked cigars. Recently (last couple months), I returned to pipes, smoking aromatics in briars.

I light up and enjoy the first 2/3rds of the bowl, immensely! But as I get to the end, the smoke is very bitter...almost medicinal in flavor. I've noticed this in various brands. Now, I am mainly smoking highly regarded Boswell blends (Christmas Cookie, Paradise, Raspberry, Berry Cobbler, etc). I typically smoke slow and cool, well not hot. I have no tongue burn or any other issue with the smoke other than the bad ending flavor. I also use various pipes (including estate pipes which I did not break in, so it's not me) and it is common to all of them.

I decided to investigate. I stopped smoking when the smoke became unpleasant. I found wet, dark unburnt tobacco at the bottom. So I tried burning slightly hotter, same thing. I tried tipping out ashes along the way, same thing. I tried half bowls, same thing. I tried one-third bowls, same thing. I also tried letting the tobacco dry out (1 hr, 2 hrs, 4 hrs, etc) before packing, same thing.

I can easily (but unenjoyably) smoke the entire bowl to ashes, so I don't think the tobacco is too wet. I also don't think it is my packing style since I have no problems with hot smoke or keeping it lit.

I don't mind stopping 1/2 to 2/3 through a smoke, I mean it's maybe $0.10 of tobacco. It just doesn't feel right.

Is this a common problem? Is it a symptom of aromatics? Is it my packing technique? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
B

I smoke English blends and VaPers and have this situation fairly regularly. You can run a pipe cleaner through the stem to absorb some of the excess moisture or DGT the pipe. The only other thought I had was that it is smoker-specific (smoking or the thought thereof leads to an increase in saliva production (Pavlovian response???))...not much that can be done about that. Hope this is of some use.

Hey, B:

Very common thing that happens. If I have a particularly wet producing blend, I use a couple of "Pipe Stones" - moisture absorbing mineral chips that you put in the bottom of the bowl. I surely agree that the last dottle can be really nasty.

Regards,

- John

I smoke English blends and VaPers and have this situation fairly regularly. You can run a pipe cleaner through the stem to absorb some of the excess moisture or DGT the pipe. The only other thought I had was that it is smoker-specific (smoking or the thought thereof leads to an increase in saliva production (Pavlovian response???))...not much that can be done about that. Hope this is of some use.

Thanks for the quick response. It definitely helps. It's good to know that even uncased tobaccos may have this problem.

I forgot to mention, I use pipe cleaners a lot! I do suppose I drool as a result of even thinking about my pipes...but I try to keep it out as much as possible. I use extra fluffies to soak up the juices. It helps but doesn't eliminate the nasty.

Hey, B:

Very common thing that happens. If I have a particularly wet producing blend, I use a couple of "Pipe Stones" - moisture absorbing mineral chips that you put in the bottom of the bowl. I surely agree that the last dottle can be really nasty.

Regards,

- John

Thanks, John. I'll look into the pipe stones. I may just discard the nasty dottle and end my smokes early. I can always tell when the flavor transitions. But it only takes a minute or two. I'd hate to get overzealous about avoiding the dottle. I don't want to be a defensive smoker.

Most of mine taste good all the way down, some improve to where the last is the best part of the smoke. Many aromatics seem to get bitter towards the end, the only exceptions I've found are the ones I've recommended including the Lakeland flakes. I think it is partly due to the types of burly used in these blends. Even though the higher end aroes use good flavorings and stay away from PG, burleys can turn bitter if not used in moderation and are of the very highest quality, and most blenders reserve those for their uncased/unscented blends. I smoke a lot of burly blends and I really like them, but I find them to be really good or really bad and not much in between. It is not uncommon for aromatic smokers to dump 1/3 - 1/2 a bowl, at least those I know. For some reason people never seem to consider G&H rum flake, SG Bob's chocolate flake, or Kendal flake, or 1792 aromatics. Or perhaps they think of them as exceptions. I don't, but I do consider them exceptional.

A final thought is that your pipe has slightly soured. If it has in the past no amount of resting will totally cure it. Depending on the RH and other variables a pipe can take 5-7 days to fully dry. That doesn't mean a pipe wont smoke well and taste good much sooner, but eventually it will get saturated, maybe months down the road. And once that moisture goes sour, it can taint a pipe, even if it is kept clean. Try giving it a thorough cleaning with alcohol followed by an S/A treatment. Let it sit for at least 48 hrs with the salt and for 48 hrs after the salt has been removed. If that doesn't help than its either tobacco or technique.

Top Bottom