What's new

Another Shampoo Bar - Chagrin Valley Cafe Moreno

Good morning chaps. Another shampoo bar made the rotation this week in my search for a favourite. This bar is called Cafe Moreno and it looks like a big bar of chocolate! It contains coffee and clove oil and it evidently aimed more toward brunettes than blondes. The latter would be me but I had to try it anyway It lathered superbly and rinsed easily. My hair felt great but I did notice a while later that my scalp felt a bit itchy and I think it may be a bit drying for me. If you read the description from Chagrin Valley, they do say it has an astringent effect. I will use it another time or two and see how it goes. I suspect if you have good scalp conditioning and are not prone to dryness like I am, it would be great. My wife has luscious brunette hair and I may have her try this soap to see how she likes it.

I am going to limit my uses to Cafe Moreno, J.R. Liggett's, and Mystic Water for this week so as to get a decent idea of what the scalp conditioning is like. I had ordered about ten trial sizes from Chagrin Valley but want to keep the samplings manageable. If it proves of some interest to you chaps, I can try to consolidate the findings into some sort of ongoing shampoo review thread. I have copied the description of Cafe Moreno from Chagrin's site and have included here for reference.

Moreno is the Spanish word for brunette. Brunettes have been pouring fresh brewed coffee on their hair for centuries to help transform flat brown tones to into shiny, rich color and maybe even do away with some of those pesky gray strands. Made with cloves, to enhance warm tones, and quadruple strength fresh brewed coffee, which enriches brown hues and provides astringent benefits to your scalp, this shampoo is natural way of brightening dull brown hair. Olive oil, rich in oleic acid, promotes full-bodied hair and a healthy scalp. Rice bran contains proteins that may help strengthen the hair shaft and prevent split ends. It adds sheen and manageability while moisturizing and conditioning. Emollient rich, nourishing babassu oil moisturizes and restores hair strength and elasticity, for shiny, healthy-looking hair. Made with 20% unrefined shea butter which absorbs quickly into the scalp to provide deep nourishment for the hair shaft, as it moisturizes and softens dry, dull, or damaged hair; resulting in improved luster and manageability. The natural oil from the coffee beans adds luster to dry hair and studies done at a university in Germany suggest that caffeine promotes hair growth. The warm sensuous essential oil blend of clove, lavender, patchouli and ylang ylang blend nicely with a hint of coffee, promotes the natural moisture balance, and is beneficial for dry and damaged hair

Regards, Todd

Last edited:
I tried a couple of CV shampoo bars. My favorite was Mud & Clay, but I couldn't use that one every day for a long stretch. Coconut Milk was my everyday bar, rotating occasionally with a sample size of Mud & Clay. I also liked using Mud & Clay as a hand soap.

I've been using the Cafe Moreno for about 2 weeks. Everyday.
I like the smell and how it gets my hair squeaky clean.
I have brown hair mixed with grey. Maybe the coffee will make my hair all brown?
Ha!:thumbup:

S

Sam

I have used Nettle (not a smell that I can detect, says it is good for grey hair to make it darker - yeah, right!!)

I also used a calendula and lavendar bar that has shea butter on my scalp and wow, it acts like a built-in conditioner. I had psoriasis a bit in my scalp and over the ears a bit more than top of the crown. Thought it would be softer but wow, it really lathers like great and the fact that it feels a bit silkier afterwards does not hurt. Nettle, it makes it that squeaky clean where your fingers grip the hair instead of slide. Not bad, I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair and Body moistuirzer to put on after I shave and then rub it into my wet hair (I shave in the shower) and all is good for moisturizing hair and face.

I have a sample of Neem I can try in a few months. These bars last me 3 to 4 months.

I tried a sample of the moreno some time back and I couldn't get past the stale coffee smell (imho) which for me, came and went through the day. It also didn't do a thing for my (very resistant) grays.

But, I found this to be very atypical of the otherwise very good quality CV bars.

I currently rotate through: herb garden, nettle, and avydevic (sp).

Last edited:
I tried a couple of CV shampoo bars. My favorite was Mud & Clay, but I couldn't use that one every day for a long stretch. Coconut Milk was my everyday bar, rotating occasionally with a sample size of Mud & Clay. I also liked using Mud & Clay as a hand soap.

I grabbed one of this variety as well. Everyone seems to have this fear of coconut oil in soaps. Drying, astringent, etc. And yes, with its high bubble lather it can do that to you. However, if you hang out as some soap making forums for awhile, you will find that some of those artisans really know a thing or five about making soap. And they have perfected coconut oil soaps by adjusting the lye to oil ratio. The gist of it is that they make soaps that lather like bombs and treat the skin just fine. I suspect the coconut milk soap at Chagrin is just grand. Coconut oil is listed second on the ingredient list so it is pretty high in content. I am really looking forward to trying it.

I have used Nettle (not a smell that I can detect, says it is good for grey hair to make it darker - yeah, right!!)

I also used a calendula and lavendar bar that has shea butter on my scalp and wow, it acts like a built-in conditioner. I had psoriasis a bit in my scalp and over the ears a bit more than top of the crown. Thought it would be softer but wow, it really lathers like great and the fact that it feels a bit silkier afterwards does not hurt. Nettle, it makes it that squeaky clean where your fingers grip the hair instead of slide. Not bad, I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair and Body moistuirzer to put on after I shave and then rub it into my wet hair (I shave in the shower) and all is good for moisturizing hair and face.

I have a sample of Neem I can try in a few months. These bars last me 3 to 4 months.

Hi Sam! Great to see you post. Yeah, I have to watch the scalp as well. It can dry to the point that I get these little bumps, which are actually dried skin trying to flake off, and man do they itch fiercely. Of course I always inadvertently scratch at them without thinking and then there is a tender spot on the scalp which is not fun. Since I started using the shampoo bars late last week it has relieved it a LOT.

I am not certain but it may be that hair soap is a trickier product to settle on than aftershave! That is a tall order because aftershaves are the biggest crap shoot for me in the whole wet shaving routine. Shampoo types are all over the place as witnessed in this posting. Some guys cannot tolerate the solid bars while I can barely find a liquid shampoo that works for more than an application or two without problems.

Regards, Todd

I tried a sample of the moreno some time back and I couldn't get past the stale coffee smell (imho) which for me, came and went through the day. It also didn't do a think for my (very resistant) grays.

But, I found this to be very atypical of the otherwise very good quality CV bars.

I currently rotate through: herb garden, nettle, and avydevic (sp).

Hey Rich, which brand of shampoo bar is your favourite so far?

Regards, Todd

Hey Rich, which brand of shampoo bar is your favourite so far?

Regards, Todd

Hi Todd,

I really haven't decided on a favorite yet. I like the Rose of Sharon acres b/c of the added goat's milk and panthenol (pro vit-b), but I seem to use the CV bars the most b/c of the variety of herbal add ins. Even there, I don't have a favorite, but also seem to stick to the ones I mentioned above.

I have Queen Charlotte Shave's new shampoo bars next on my list tho for my next order.

I grabbed one of this variety as well. Everyone seems to have this fear of coconut oil in soaps. Drying, astringent, etc. And yes, with its high bubble lather it can do that to you. However, if you hang out as some soap making forums for awhile, you will find that some of those artisans really know a thing or five about making soap. And they have perfected coconut oil soaps by adjusting the lye to oil ratio. The gist of it is that they make soaps that lather like bombs and treat the skin just fine. I suspect the coconut milk soap at Chagrin is just grand. Coconut oil is listed second on the ingredient list so it is pretty high in content. I am really looking forward to trying it.

Coconut oil bad for you? I don't understand why some would think this. Coconut oil is one of the best oils for your skin (and general health) there is. They need to google about to set themselves straight.

Yeah Rich. I agree. And for the most part, what do we think makes these "tallow" shave soaps lather so easily? It is not tallow! What I discovered when I was hanging around The-Whisk was lot of disagreement over what the saponification value should be. A good number of soap makers had taken to using a different value with coconut oil with spectacular results. I am like you. How could something so skin-liscious be so harsh in a soap? They solved it with a bit of extra super fat I think. Anyhow, some of them were making 100% coconut bars with good results.

Regards, Todd

Yeah Rich. I agree. And for the most part, what do we think makes these "tallow" shave soaps lather so easily? It is not tallow! What I discovered when I was hanging around The-Whisk was lot of disagreement over what the saponification value should be. A good number of soap makers had taken to using a different value with coconut oil with spectacular results. I am like you. How could something so skin-liscious be so harsh in a soap? They solved it with a bit of extra super fat I think. Anyhow, some of them were making 100% coconut bars with good results.

Regards, Todd

Somewhat OT, but I suffer from hellaciously dry skin in the cooler months, particularly my hands, legs, and back. Tallow & high-glycerine soaps have helped, as have regular moisturizers. But, they have not solved the problem. Over the past month I've been moisturizing head-to-toe with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil as well as taking it (separate container) internally at about 2 tsp. / day (2-3 Tbl / day is what's recommended). My skin and hair have never looked or felt better. FWIW.

If you get the unrefined stuff, it even keeps a nice light coconut smell. Refined has no real scent to it.

Last edited:
Good info Rich. I know it is not popular with doctors and nutritionists but saturated fats will always have a place in my food pantry and toiletry locker!

And yeah, I had the same thing going on with my Celtic hide every winter till I started traditional wet shaving and using good soaps. I may even try using some coconut oil as a hair dressing or scalp conditioner but I worry about the greasy look on my lighter coloured hair. And thanks again for all the input you have provided over the last year or so on these shampoo bars. It has helped a lot.

Regards, Todd

Good info Rich. I know it is not popular with doctors and nutritionists but saturated fats will always have a place in my food pantry and toiletry locker!

And yeah, I had the same thing going on with my Celtic hide every winter till I started traditional wet shaving and using good soaps. I may even try using some coconut oil as a hair dressing or scalp conditioner but I worry about the greasy look on my lighter coloured hair. And thanks again for all the input you have provided over the last year or so on these shampoo bars. It has helped a lot.

Regards, Todd

Always a pleasure, Todd. You're welcome.

As to coconut oil hair dressing / conditioner... just smooth it in at the beginning of your shower, let it sit, and shampoo out at the end of your shower. Or condition as usual (end of shower), use sparingly, and the excess will rub out when you towel dry. I've even left it in over night and shampooed out in the morning. No greasy feel that I've noticed and no mess on my pillow cases.

As far as sat fats go, this seems to be one of the good guys as your body apparently processes it differently and tends to burn/use it rather than store it. Plus, it's a medium chain triglyceride which is foundational for the "good" cholesterol used to make hormones (which may explain the thyroid and testosterone boosting effects noticed by some w/ coconut oil).

I want to buy a bar of Neem body/face/hair shampoo from CV but the shipping is killer. The bar itself costs 7.60 - not a problem, bur the shipping is 5.75!

$13 for a puck of soap...not sure about this anymore!

Got my QCS order today; amazing turn around time. Report to follow on the shampoo bars in the next week or so.

Top Bottom