What's new

Anyone try "Sir William of Combe's Old Fashioned Beef Fat Shaving Soap"?

I saw the "Lemon Verbana" flavor at a local store - on sale, too! - and wondered if anyone had tried this product.

Another one of these threads? Yes, of course, it's only $1.09 at my ShopRite. $1.69 at the CVS.

Yes, a point that's been made before. If Williams had a fancier name, and cost more, it would get more respect.:thumbup:

Another one of these threads? Yes, of course, it's only $1.09 at my ShopRite. $1.69 at the CVS.

Yes, a point that's been made before. If Williams had a fancier name, and cost more, it would get more respect.:thumbup:

good catch. the Combe's sounded very familiar, so once those 4 "hints" were put together and I understood, with help from Sliv'z, just a big grin on my face..

the beef fat made me think of beef stew my russian wife makes on occassion, not tallow though...

I deny the existence of this product.

(sticking fingers in ears):

I can't hear you, I can't see you, I will go on my way in the other direction now. :lol::lol:

With ye ole Williams in hand! 1.67, Inflation is roaring away.

Seems like it would work well with some Williams electric shave soaked on top, maybe some glycerin, then I add some proraso, a little olive oil..some conditioner..a few drops of shave secret..WD-40 and a gallon of hot water(make sure its soft water). I think this may work!:001_smile

Seriously I have not tried it yet, but within one hour i could be a new man.

and a little older...wiser...

shaved with Williams for the first time about 30 min ago. I am confused...puzzled..a little more calloused to the world.

I used a feather blade for this...

First off I will say that lathering this soap is not the problem. I used a 30 minute soak method and a nice Burma Shave brush. Once I began to swirl the brush, I had lather all over this place. Just like the picture on the box. It was quite a mess actually, in the floor, on the counter, on the mirror. The stuff was just exploding out of the mug. Thick and gooey.

But the lather...what is this stuff!? Now I haven't used a tallow soap before so maybe this is the way it is supposed to be. It was like a whipped melted butter. Its greasy, I couldn't hold onto the razor. It wont rinse off, just stays on the face, sometimes sticky, but dries so quick. Splash on some water and that rejuvenates it for about 20 sec. I added two drops of glycerin on top...could that have been the problem? I won't try that again.

Here is the crazy part. I just had the best shave of my life(isn't that the point?). BBS for sure, with just a little more irritation that usual. (Could be that the feather is getting wore out). Did I enjoy it.. I don't think so. Maybe.. its confusing..Like finally getting lucky with the hottest girl in school..but then something is missing.

Followed up with some Clubman...holy hellfire!!!

So my verdict is out. I don't know what to think about Williams. :confused1

Last edited:
Here is the crazy part. I just had the best shave of my life(isn't that the point?). BBS for sure, with just a little more irritation that usual. (Could be that the feather is getting wore out). Did I enjoy it.. I don't think so. Maybe.. its confusing..Like finally getting lucky with the hottest girl in school..but then something is missing. :confused1

At least it wasn't your wallet. Wait...your beard is missing! :001_tongu

Thou that besmirch the goode name of Williams wipe from thy lowly simian countenance that air of glee and taunting. You are as a candle, the better burnt out! Methinks thou never wast where grace was said.
How now, wool-sacks, what mutter you?

Wow that was fun! Shakespeare insult generator... what a great idea!

Top Bottom