What's new

Bizarre...

So I just got a bunch of straights from a buddy. These are his first and needs them honed. He ran them through an ultrasonic tumbler type deal to give them a polishing before he sent them and I wonder if that's why?

Basically all the signs are there that the edge is ready, it's undercutting slurry like crazy, feels done based on feedback from the coti... But then I try to shave arm hair or HHT and nothing! It's really really strange...

I think I need to take it down to the DMT 1200 and stay there until it shaves arm hair nice. (or like Seraphim until it passes HHT) and then move onto the coti.

What do you think?

I don't move off my bevel setter to the coticule till it shaves arm hair on all spots on the blade.

When in doubt, reset the bevel.

Tumbler or not something sounds like it has obliterated the bevel. If they are not shaving arm hair, then definitely spend some time on your more coarse hones and get that bevel set right before you waste time refining your damaged edge. It might take some time, I had a Ebay razor last week that I had to hone twice because I never spent enough time properly fixing the bevel the first go round.

I don't move off my bevel setter to the coticule till it shaves arm hair on all spots on the blade.

When in doubt, reset the bevel.

If the razor has a proper bevel, shaves arm hair, then ya go to the coti do ya still start with a milky slurry and start diluting straight away?

If the razor has a proper bevel, shaves arm hair, then ya go to the coti do ya still start with a milky slurry and start diluting straight away?

Even if I start with a ~1k synthetic hone and get an edge that shaves arm hair, I make sure that the coticule-with-milky-slurry-formed edge can shave arm hair as well.

If the bevel is set with a coticule with slurry of milky consistency, start diluting from the same slurry. If you set the bevel with a synthetic or a coticule using thicker slurry, start with milky slurry on the coticule so that you can shave arm hair, then start diluting from that concentration. And again, glass dulling will help immensely if you are unsure about where your edge is.

Last edited:
Yeah took it back to the DMT1200 for some time until it was SAH well everywhere. Then went to some slurry on the hybrid side for enough sets of halfstrokes to darken the slurry. Then to water and did about 200-300 xstrokes with a few breaks to strop up and check. That sucker is popping some hairs now!

So, TIL: Set the bevel. (no seriously... make damn sure it's set!)

lol...

Yeah took it back to the DMT1200 for some time until it was SAH well everywhere. Then went to some slurry on the hybrid side for enough sets of halfstrokes to darken the slurry. Then to water and did about 200-300 xstrokes with a few breaks to strop up and check. That sucker is popping some hairs now!

So, TIL: Set the bevel. (no seriously... make damn sure it's set!)

lol...

This is the info I was looking for, thanks Chris. I was just struggling with a razor that just wasn't coming around that the bevel was set on the DMT 1200 and after reading this.............shave ready. :thumbup:

Even if I start with a ~1k synthetic hone and get an edge that shaves arm hair, I make sure that the coticule-with-milky-slurry-formed edge can shave arm hair as well.

If the bevel is set with a coticule with slurry of milky consistency, start diluting from the same slurry. If you set the bevel with a synthetic or a coticule using thicker slurry, start with milky slurry on the coticule so that you can shave arm hair, then start diluting from that concentration. And again, glass dulling will help immensely if you are unsure about where your edge is.

I do exactly this. I still go to the coticule with milky slurry and dilute from there.

This is the info I was looking for, thanks Chris. I was just struggling with a razor that just wasn't coming around that the bevel was set on the DMT 1200 and after reading this.............shave ready. :thumbup:

Glad it could help! I read somewhere on here where someone (perhaps Harvitz?) goes from DMT1200 to Hybrid on water... So I figured a bit of slurry to smooth the scratches from the 1200 a bit before water couldn't hurt.

ETA: And there it is, he got in while I was typing up a response... heh

Glad it could help! I read somewhere on here where someone (perhaps Harvitz?) goes from DMT1200 to Hybrid on water... So I figured a bit of slurry to smooth the scratches from the 1200 a bit before water couldn't hurt.

ETA: And there it is, he got in while I was typing up a response... heh

I used to go from the DMT 600 (cause my 1200 is shot) to a coticule with slurry, but don't think you could make the jump from a 1200 to just water only.

Though I do have an insanely fast new coticule on water only and may start to play with it in this capacity (probably start with very thin slurry and do 3-4 dilutions to water).

Since receiving my Chosera 1K though my DMTs hardly ever get used.

Maybe I saw you saying your progression was DMT->LL Hybrid and assumed it was just water... heh. My bad. It sure did work a treat tho. I probably did way more finish strokes on water, but I wanted to be sure the edge was smooth and all the scratches were gone from the DMT.

Maybe I saw you saying your progression was DMT->LL Hybrid and assumed it was just water... heh. My bad. It sure did work a treat tho. I probably did way more finish strokes on water, but I wanted to be sure the edge was smooth and all the scratches were gone from the DMT.

Generally when I right that I mean dilucot progression. Congrats on your success though.

I tryed dmt1200 to coti water . the edge was'nt bad but it skipped on my face. I've gone from slurry to just water with no dilution and that can and has worked for me.

Top Bottom