What's new

Neck irritation

I have been DE shaving since March of this year, and have had some nice shaves. But I always seem to wind up with an irritation on my neck in the slight hollow behind the adams apple. The prep is a shower while the brush and Moss scuttle reside in a hot water bath, get out of shower dry off, leave face wet, lather up with a creme ( T&H ultimate, SCS, or Mama Bear), Grab the HD with a Derby blade and begin. WTG,XTG,ATG. Rinse and reapply creme between passes. It seems that after the XTG when I reapply the creme I can feel a slight sting then after the ATG it is there. My cheeks are always bbs no irritation, after the final rinse and application of alum bar there is a great amount of stinging at the neck hollow. Witch Hazel non alcohol, then apply a balm. I have three razor, HD, Futur and a EJ Chatsworth lined gold. Derby blades in them all at this time, as I am still working through the letterK pack. The irritation happens with all the razors. I really enjoy the DE shave experience and would like to get rid of the irritation, don't know if it is technique or something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Tom

Tom - that is an area where your beard growth could be going in all directions . So when you think you are shaving XTG it could actually be ATG. Just double check the direction of your beard growth in that area. Another thing that has worked for me whenever I started with a DE and had irritation on my neck was to let the skin hang loose while shaving. Whenever, I would raise my chin or pull the neck skin tight I would get irritation. Try those couple things and hopefully you will see and feel some better results.

I am having the same problem. Examine your beard growth and make sure you are shaving in the right direction. The neck is notorious for this.

My issue concerns a postage stamp size patch on one side of my neck where the grain direction is quite sporatic. I simply cannot figure out how to shave this properly with the blade/razor being so large.

Limey and BB6 thanks for the reply.
I did not shave for a couple of days, gave my neck a chance to settle down. Checked grain direction and found it a little different than I had first thought. Tried a new pattern last night and it seems to be working. NtoS, EtoW, chevron top to bottom,angle down WtoE atg. Changed blade angle slightly, got bbs with hardly any irritation. Much better. Thanks again. :biggrin:
Tom

Top Bottom