What's new

Wostenholm resto

Due to the mitigated response to my poll, I decided to try and salvage the Wosty's scales by lining them ... with either brass or aluminum.
What thickness would you all recommend in terms of liner material? After researching a bit, it looks like 1/16 is about what I should be aiming for.

Also, what should I use to revive the bone? research showed that neatsfoot oil would work. Any other methods?

proxy.php

Thanks in advance.

Another option would be to use thin, brown G10. It may blend in enough that you wouldn't notice it to much. Plus the weight wouldn't be much different.

Another option would be to use thin, brown G10. It may blend in enough that you wouldn't notice it to much. Plus the weight wouldn't be much different.
Thanks for the info. It does seem like a good material.

I wouldn't mind a contrasting color. I am not trying to do an exact resto ... more like a custom/personal resto.
I'll need to remove quite a bit on the back side to make it all flat again (at least 1/16)... the blade has been digging on the side quite a bit (hard to see from the pic) and the wedge is almost nonexistant. I wonder if someone tried to "fix it" in it's previous life.

Any idea where I can get a small bit of the material? most place sell a huge sheet of it.

Marc

Looks like horn. Horn is fairly easy to restore. Neetsfoot oil will be your friend after this project.

You can straighten them by boiling. Search the forum for lots of good info. For splits, I use super glue. Some may fill back in after the neetsfoot oil rehydrates the horn.

Once they are straight, they probably won't need a liner. But if they do, I like brass.

Looks like horn. Horn is fairly easy to restore. Neatsfoot oil will be your friend after this project.

You can straighten them by boiling. Search the forum for lots of good info. For splits, I use super glue. Some may fill back in after the neatsfoot oil rehydrates the horn.

Once they are straight, they probably won't need a liner. But if they do, I like brass.

Found it ... I'll give the near boiling water a shot. Do I use the oil before or after the hot water dip?... could not find any info on that...
Those splits will be a bear if I don't disassemble though as they are on the blade side ...

Last edited:
Well, here is the deal ... neatsfoot oil worked some wonders, not all. Scales look great - shiny and dark.

Did the "almost boiling water" trick many, many times ... at least the blade is no longer digging into the side... however, the warp is beyond that point.

I looks like I will have to line it after all. The upside is that I found out that there is no wedge. either side of the scale is notched to create the wedge. I will probably fill that with some material to either match or contrast the liner...
Should turn out quite nice.
It probably needs repinning anyways as the one side is starting to dig in ... which also gives me the perfect opportunity to polish up the blade.

Some updates ... as said above, I had to unpin the razor. here is a pic showing how the scales looked like after the hot dip/neatsfoot treatement.:rolleyes1

the closeup is of the scale that needs stabilizing ... hence the liner ... bottom pic is after many many dips in hot water ...It looks fairly even now but it is very flimsy.

proxy.php

Sand out as much roughness as possible & then hand buff vigourously first with some kind of oil & then with beeswax. Will bring 'em right back!

Sand out as much roughness as possible & then hand buff vigourously first with some kind of oil & then with beeswax. Will bring 'em right back!
Thanks,
I had them covered in oil since last night. They should be nicely saturated by the time I get back home tonight.

Should I just use epoxy to fill in that crack? I am still planning on adding a thin liner to help it a bit in the weak spots ... plus it look darn cool IMHO:001_cool:

Thanks,
I had them covered in oil since last night. They should be nicely saturated by the time I get back home tonight.

Should I just use epoxy to fill in that crack? I am still planning on adding a thin liner to help it a bit in the weak spots ... plus it look darn cool IMHO:001_cool:
Epoxy is good, if you use clear, it will be hard to see that it's even there.

Liners do look cool. I'd go with brass, but that's more of a personal choice.
Any of the other options mentioned above are good choices.

Liners do look cool. I'd go with brass, but that's more of a personal choice.
Brass was my choice as well. Do I need to use a spacer washer on the inside if I have the liners or is it redundant? my guess is yes as I would be rubbing metal on metal otherwise. Is that assumption correct?

Brass was my choice as well. Do I need to use a spacer washer on the inside if I have the liners or is it redundant? my guess is yes as I would be rubbing metal on metal otherwise. Is that assumption correct?
Yes, you assumpted right.

Did I by the way just invent a new word???

Top Bottom