What's new

Born Again Shaver

Hey there... First time, long time.

After years of shaving with Mach 3's, randomly growing beards out and then just using a beard trimmer to clean up my face when I grew tired of the beard, SWMBO picked up on me saying I'd like to try an old timey shave.

This lead to her getting me a gift cert to a straight razor shave for my birthday last summer, a AOS brush for christmas, and then a Merkur HD for valentines (I got to help pick it out).

Shaving was such a chore before, but now I look forward to it each time (even though by my count it's only been 7 times so far). So far I've tried bladewise: Derby, Dorco 301's, and just put on a Shark blade last shave.

Creamwise... switching back and forth between co bigelow and some lavender AOS stuff.

I had a lot of problems with ingrown hair on my neck which have really cleared up already, so that is greatly appreciated. My technique has improved drastically, but XTG still poses challenges for me for some reason with getting all the angles lined up right, but i assume thats from never doing XTG with the mach 3.

So thats my story for now.

Welcome to B & B. Sounds like you have a great wife, looking out for you, buying you shaving gear. We are glad you joined us.

Welcome to B&B!

It sounds like you're working through a blade sampler pack. If so, great. None of the blades you've tried so far worked very well for me, but of course YMMV.

I'd suggest you try three shaves on each blade before switching. I was taught to reduce variables as much as possible early in shaving so that I would learn the characteristics of each change of equipment.

I expect you will find a blade that works for you fairly soon. With the HD, I found that Red IPs, Crystals, Astra SPs and Feathers worked best for me.

Codfish

Welcome to B & B. Sounds like you have a great wife, looking out for you, buying you shaving gear. We are glad you joined us.

not wife yet, but she still MBO :biggrin1:

Welcome to B&B!

It sounds like you're working through a blade sampler pack. If so, great. None of the blades you've tried so far worked very well for me, but of course YMMV.

I'd suggest you try three shaves on each blade before switching. I was taught to reduce variables as much as possible early in shaving so that I would learn the characteristics of each change of equipment.

I expect you will find a blade that works for you fairly soon. With the HD, I found that Red IPs, Crystals, Astra SPs and Feathers worked best for me.

Codfish

yeah, picked up a sampler pack from amazon and have been using each for 3 shaves. as far as i can tell, each blade has been working good, however i have a small sample size so far to compare to. i look forward to trying out new blades, but i'm taking it slow and shaving every 3 or 4 days so i don't agitate my skin too much as it's still getting used to this.

Welcome! As Codfish said, it's a good idea to reduce the variables when learning to use a DE razor - this thread in fact advises not changing blade type until you're a month in so you can really get your technique down, so you might want to consider that. This'll also give you a good baseline to judge all the other blades you try.

Good luck, and happy shaving!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hello hbc07
proxy.php
from Lansing, MI (I was born in East Lansing, MI and spent most of my life there [E.L HS/MSU...until I joined the Army]...Yay Baby!!!)
proxy.php

Ah-ha...Mmm-hmm!!!. So that's were you've been hiding for almost 2yrs...been lurking have you now? But that's OK because now you're 'boen again' and with us (another Michigander comes out from the mist). :lol1:

Anyway, welcome to the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the sun deck 'sit-a-spell'.

Glad you pulled the 'trigger' :2guns:and took the plunge (obtained a Merkur HD and got rid of those crappy carts..."Away with them I say...Away"!!!), and yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

It was very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Feathers, Kai's, Treets, Trig, Shark Chrome, Derby's and Gillette 7 O'clock just to name a few with my DE Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

My advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Also, when I received my DE Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

The "Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials"

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :laugh:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Please don't forget once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Attached Image...a.k.a. The Lurking Device

Attachments

• $B & B - Lurking Device.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Top Bottom