What's new

Intro to Bay Rum

I have no idea what Bay Rum smells like and I would like to try it in some form. What's the best intro product I should start with? Col Conk soap, Booster AS, Pinaud? I'm looking for something cheap in case I don't like it, and also something that is a typical Bay Rum scent, not something that is totally different from all other Bay Rum scents. Suggestions please.

All bay rums smell different. if you buy cheap you get cheap and a guarantee you won't be impressed with bay rum. Write to some of the companies and get a sampler that's the best way to try. personally I think Royall is a class act but it's not cheap.

there were 2-3 nice bay rums at a local soap store

problem for me on the cheaper ones is they smell like the local tavern when on LOL

Ogalalla Bay Rum is one of the finest and relatively inexpensive. Barklay Crocker, Inc. (online) offers a large sampler pack of famous bay rums for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Codfish

Superior70 is a favorite of mine. Walgreens offers it online for about $2/bottle. If you are lucky your local Walgreens might carry it in the ethnic products section.

Superior 70 Bay Rum will give you the classic bay rum scent for very little money. It is available at Walgreen's. Master Bay Rum, available at Sally Beauty Supply, is another classic bay rum, and it is relatively inexpensive.

By classic bay rum scent, I am refering to just bay oil and alcohol as the ingredients.

Interesting timing on this post.

While on St Thomas, I bought a bottle of St Johns bay rum. Love it! Then on Grenada, we bought a bowl of cooking spices. Included was a large bunch of fresh bay leaves (they are huge, nothing like the stuff you'll find in the grocery!) Slow cooked some bison, smothered with the bay leaves. The scent was VERY close to the St Johns! I know it has a couple other spices in it but the base scent of bay was unmistakeable.

And interesting aside, you can "roll your own" by soaking bay leaves, allspice and cloves in actual rum for a couple weeks. Gotta try that one day:thumbup:

Ken

I use Pinauds Bay Rum, which has a spicy but nice smell to it. I also got Dominica's Bay Rum for Christmas, which is all natural and has a great scent. Along with using as an AS I mix with VDH.

I love the Dominica Bay Rum and always get positive comments on it! Available at Orvis stores, if you have any nearby, about 15-20 bucks a bottle but it will last forever, as you only need a little splash.

I've tried a few Bay Rum aftershaves, and my favorites are Ogalalla, and Dominica. Hard to pin down what makes a scent appealing, but they've both got it.

If you're interested in varying the Bay Rum scent a bit, Ogalalla Bay Rum Sage and Cedar, and Ogalalla Bay Rum Lime and peppercorn are both lovely.

I like the scent of the Sage and Cedar best, but the woodsy scent doesn't last terribly long. The Lime and Peppercorn would be nice for warm weather.

Bay Rum is really varied. It comes in two general camps - clove or no clove. I am decidedly in the "no clove" camp. You can pick up some nice, inexpensive bay rums locally

No clove = Master, Superior70
Clove = Pinaud

Otherwise, you are a candidate for a bay rum sampler from Barclay Crocker.

Ogalalla Bay Rum is one of the finest and relatively inexpensive. Barklay Crocker, Inc. (online) offers a large sampler pack of famous bay rums for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Codfish

+1 and their customer service is hard to beat. :)

I've tried a few Bay Rum aftershaves, and my favorites are Ogalalla, and Dominica. Hard to pin down what makes a scent appealing, but they've both got it.

If you're interested in varying the Bay Rum scent a bit, Ogalalla Bay Rum Sage and Cedar, and Ogalalla Bay Rum Lime and peppercorn are both lovely.

I like the scent of the Sage and Cedar best, but the woodsy scent doesn't last terribly long. The Lime and Peppercorn would be nice for warm weather.

Find the common thread. You can't go wrong. They even throw in free stuff with every order so you get to try even more Bay Rum Products. Ogallala All the Way.

Bay Rum is really varied. It comes in two general camps - clove or no clove. I am decidedly in the "no clove" camp. You can pick up some nice, inexpensive bay rums locally

No clove = Master, Superior70
Clove = Pinaud

Otherwise, you are a candidate for a bay rum sampler from Barclay Crocker.

I'm in the "no clove" camp as well. The same goes for shaving creams and soaps. I once bought the bay rum shaving cream from the The Shave Den. Definitely clovey. Col. Conk's Bay Rum, not clovey.

Interesting timing on this post.

While on St Thomas, I bought a bottle of St Johns bay rum. Love it! Then on Grenada, we bought a bowl of cooking spices. Included was a large bunch of fresh bay leaves (they are huge, nothing like the stuff you'll find in the grocery!) Slow cooked some bison, smothered with the bay leaves. The scent was VERY close to the St Johns! I know it has a couple other spices in it but the base scent of bay was unmistakeable.

And interesting aside, you can "roll your own" by soaking bay leaves, allspice and cloves in actual rum for a couple weeks. Gotta try that one day:thumbup:

Ken

Where did you stay on Grenada?

There was an Ogallala Bay Rum sample I tried once. It didn't smell bad, per se, but it reminded me of the soap that I've smelled in a handful of public washrooms... :001_unsur I want to try the Conk one, to see if it's different. I don't think my nose has the scent of bay rum down quite yet.

Top Bottom