What's new

Day Three: Going the wrong way.

Has anyone else had this experience? I gave myself my first DE shave on Sunday and it was amazing. Smooth and comfortable.

Yesterday, my cheeks and neck were a bit irritated... a bit of burn through the day. I attributed it to the fact that I was perhaps a bit quicker and more aggressive in my shave since it was while getting ready for work.

Today, Day Three, I'm not sure it is either smooth or comfortable. A few more "weepers" today than either of the first two as well.

Does your face go through an adjustment phase? Or, am I doing something wrong? I assume the blade is still good after only three shaves... (I am waiting for a 50-blade assortment to arrive from www.Italianbarber.com).

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!?!

MS :blushing:

Take your time. Don't feel you are a DE expert just yet. Slow it down and think it through.

Change blades. 3 shaves is enough. You didn't mention which blades you were using.

You also didn't mention how many passes and what type you are doing.

As the other responders said, take your time. Focus on prep, angle, and the complete lack of pressure.

Don't rush. Shave the night before, if you have to, but don't rush.

The worst thing you can do when learning the new techniques required to successfully use a non-cartridge razor is to not allow yourself the time to take it slow and easy. If you don't have time to make sure your lather's good, use small strokes, and make sure your angle's good, you're gonna regret it.

If you get really irritated, take a day off. Let your skin heal. Trying to fix bad technique on top of already inflamed skin isn't going to help.

As others have said we need more info to give advice.

But the rules are: NO pressure, blade angle, prep., and take your time. :wink2:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What seems to be an eternity ago, I had my first DE shave, and it was perfect. Subsequent attempts had me scratching my head. Yuck. Was it overconfidence? Luck? Trying too hard? Who knows.

You're not going to master the myriad ins and outs of this hobby overnight, nor should that be your goal. There will be many great shaves on the horizon, and you'll figure out the path to them in your own way.

Good advice above.

IMO your skin does have an adjustment period where it seems to get use to DE shaving. So follow the advice above (no pressure, watch your technique, take a day off) and give your face a couple of weeks to get use to this.

Don't give up - it gets better.... much better.

How many passes and in which directions(s)? Several of us can't tolerate more than two passes and others among us cannot tolerate an ATG pass.

It will get easier. When starting you should pay close attention to blade angle and no pressure as these are the two most common mistakes that a new wet shaver makes (bad angle and pressure).

Welcome to B&B! We're glad you've joined us.

Great advice above! Keep up the ritual of making lather and shaving ... both will improve with time.

With good prep, my blades last an easy week. When I first started, 3 shaves was the limit. I think it has to do with prep. The better the prep, the less work the edge does for each pass.

At any rate, if you think it is the blade, toss it. They are cheap enough.

Take a day off and/or reduce # of passes. Strive for consistent CCS without irritation, then work your way up from there.

It was the same with me when I started. One day was good, the next sucked. Just take your time and you WILL improve.

How many passes and in which directions(s)? Several of us can't tolerate more than two passes and others among us cannot tolerate an ATG pass.

And some of us can't tolerate an ATG pass on only certain parts of the face/neck. Everyone's different.

But the bottom line for every beginner (I'm still having to remind myself of this) is S-L-O-W down. I did have to switch to doing it in the evening instead of in the morning.

Like everyone has said, SLOW DOWN.
I shave after work now so I can enjoy it. Its like a break before I start the rest of my evening!
Helps bring on a great shave and relaxation!

My first shave was so easy I thought, "What?" Then I switched to a new blade and got as few weepers as I was cruising along. Time, patience and technique will lead to a better and better shave. No hurries in this leisure.

You also didn't mention how many passes and what type you are doing.

Thank you all for the great advice. I have been going with the grain in my first pass (which now that I think of it may truly have been across the grain), and then against the grain for a 2nd pass. Tomorrow I will be more disciplined to go with the grain, which on my face is for the most part ear to chin, and chin down my neck. I think I was actually going straight down my cheek (ie. across the grain) in my first pass, and then against in the 2nd pass.

The other thing that is maybe a variable, is that I have tried 3 different soaps (just having fun exploring all the options this early!). First day was P.160, then Cella and today Trumpers Coconut Oil Soap. Maybe I should pick one and stay with that for a few days to see how things go, without that variable.

My "variety pack" of different blades did arrive today, so I will try a better blade, rather than the one that came with my razor (a Merkur Classic (33C)).

Again, thank you for all the advice. I'm not giving up. Still enjoying it; and just trying to figure out how my skin will adjust.

MS
:thumbup:

Top Bottom