What's new

Adam's Apple

My adam's apple is a little larger than most people's, but I'm hoping someone can relate. This thing is a pain in the *** to shave with a straight razor.

The end (point? top?) of the Adam's apple is the worst because I get a few noticeable hairs growing on it, but anytime I try to go after the few hairs there, I get terrible razor burn... and that's only WTG. I can't imagine the pain that lies in wait with an ATG pass there. If I don't get razor burn, I risk nicking myself pretty nicely, and at least once. So at present my options are:
"Cut yourself shavin' eh?"
"Hey, you missed a spot"

How have you guys worked around this/coped with it?

(And no, I'm not picking up my damned M3 to finish the job.)

Have you tried pulling the skin up so that it is on a flatter part of your neck? That will probably help you a lot.

Legion

Staff member
Two ways.

Try swallowing and hold the swallow as the blade goes over the adams apple. If this wont work stretch the skin to the left and right of the bumpy bit to shave it.

Probably, the whiskers aren't super tough on that spot on your face. On my Adam's Apple, and similar places with less tough whiskers and sensitive easy to slice skin, I adjust my blade angle very high. The razor might be at a 75 degree angle. It still nips off the "whiskers", but with much less tendency to cut the skin.

It is almost like scraping off the whiskers, except that it isn't as likely to cut, and just as importantly, with light touch it is very easy on the skin.

But, stretching the skin, as mentioned above, is the primary and best technique. Blade angle is secondary in typical importance.

you know what they say about guys with large adams apples...

they have a little difficulty shaving the neck area.

I've had good results just giving the skin a stretch off to the side of the adam's apple, and then using either the heal or the tip of the blade with an extremely light pressure on the blade. By that I mean like no pressure at all. It took awhile to get use to it but now it works great for me. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom