What's new

Philips Philite razor

I would like to hear from members that have shaved with this razor how it performs. Is this razor mild or agressive? I have some good experience with plastic razors namely the Gillete click and the Supermax quick shaver and would like to get a bakalite razor if it performs well. I can buy one in an antique store for 14 euro which seems nos. Would this be a good purchase or would I be better of with the Merkur bakalite?

Are you asking about the bakelite model from the 30s? It seems more like a collectable than a shaver, but perhaps someone here has tried it. At EUR-14 I would buy it and find out.

The Merkur 45 shaves well for me. It's a three-piece and is a good travel razor.

Yes thats the model I was asking about.

Simply buying it and trying it is not a bad idea actually :thumbup:. The 14 euros will not break the bank, its just that I make so many razor switches I can never get really proficient with a razor. But I will take it on the skin :tongue_sm. Experimenting is a big part of the fun when it comes to wet shaving anyway IMO. I will post again in this thread when I have some experience with it.

I still really would like to read the experiences of others though.

Bump! I got myself a philite razor last week together with another Bakelite razor. I don't have pics yet, but it's an interesting razor! I shaved with it this morning and it's quite aggressive, a bit of a tricky combination with the low weight. The blade overhang looks impressive.

I finally took the time to take some pics of this razor. The head design is the most striking feature of this razor. The inside of the head is open, you can look straight through the head. I couldn't capture this unfortunately.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

They should have named this razor "The Buffer" because that head design allows you to buff till you drop and it really delivers that finishing touch to a shave. Much like the Knockout razor, the lather remains under the cap as there are no lather holes, this keeps the lubrication for continued passes.

It is also quite loud if you enjoy that sort of thing.

They should have named this razor "The Buffer" because that head design allows you to buff till you drop and it really delivers that finishing touch to a shave. Much like the Knockout razor, the lather remains under the cap as there are no lather holes, this keeps the lubrication for continued passes.

It is also quite loud if you enjoy that sort of thing.

This sounds AWESOME!
The Knockout is a majestic razor so if the Philite is in the same league then I am even more EXCITED!

Shave with the Philite this morning:
proxy.php

Like you told me, it's very loud and very smooth.

It's also pretty efficient without any tendency to bite - not like some of those super fierce R41+!bakelites, more like a British NEW.

A great pleasure to shave with!

Glad you like the shave. As said, it's one loud bugger but for some reason I enjoy using the Knockout razor more. I find the Knockout is more aggressive and the shave it gives, longer lasting.

Glad you like the shave. As said, it's one loud bugger but for some reason I enjoy using the Knockout razor more. I find the Knockout is more aggressive and the shave it gives, longer lasting.

Yes - I like aggressive razors and preferred the Knockout too...

Lather: Omega Via Barberia Herbae
Brush: Omega 40033 "Mighty Midget" (with added O-Rings)
Razor: Philite (Bakelite)
Blade: Feather [3]
Finish: RazoRock XXX

Excited to try this new razor since reading about it in this thread. BTW, that's my actual razor in [MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION]'s pictures.

First impression of the Philite is that it's another great middle-of-the-road aggressive razor. Very smooth, almost feels like a lighter, more nimble NEW. The really cool thing about this razor is the lather flow-through. The blade is supported entirely by the "teeth" and there is no obstruction between both blade edges, so as you shave, any lather that gets caught eventually extrudes out the other end like fettuccine through a pasts machine. So cool.

proxy.php

I've never heard of the Philips Philite razor but it looks like a nice piece of kit.
Is this the same Philips company that makes light bulbs and electric razors today?

If you can get one that is NOS for €14 you should jump on it.
But I would leave it untouched for the sake of collectors,
and shave with a Merkur 45 Bakelite instead.

Yes, I believe it's made by the same Philips that makes light bulbs and other electronics.

I got my Philite for a great price, but it's nowhere near NOS, so I am happy to shave with it (as I do all my razors).

Top Bottom