What's new

Is it safe to use a polish like Flitz on butterscotch?

I'd like to put a shine on a butterscotch brush, but I'm afraid of rubbing off the beautiful patina. Does anyone know or have experience with polishing a butterscotch brush?

Thanks.

I use a toothbrush and toothpaste first and then give it a whack with Silvo. ( Can't get Flitz in Oz )

Never had a problem. If it's really dirty I have also used Brasso.

Just go light and slow and you should be right !

Ken, I use Metylan(Henkel product) tube metal polish and it works like scratch remover but not remove either layer or color. However you should test it at first under of the handle.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I just gave a cursory polish to the butterscotch handle with Flitz liquid polish. No more matte finish. It's shining quite nicely. I used a white cloth to polish the handle and noticed some light and occasional orange staining indicating that some patina might have been removed.

Otherwise, it works beautifully. The handle looks much better.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I just gave a cursory polish to the butterscotch handle with Flitz liquid polish. No more matte finish. It's shining quite nicely. I used a white cloth to polish the handle and noticed some light and occasional orange staining indicating that some patina might have been removed.

Otherwise, it works beautifully. The handle looks much better.

Ahem !!!

Pictures please ...

I realized I should have taken before and after shots. Ah well. It was difficult to capture the shine on film:

proxy.php

It's a travel brush so the white banding around the handle is from friction in the brush tube. You'll just have to take my word for it that it's a huge improvement. :blushing:

I'll give the boar a good run before I decide to replace the knot. I'll let the ends split and the loose bristles shed first. It actually lathers pretty well. A TGN finest would look great in it though...

When I first get mine I normally shine them up but lately I think the dark matte finish actually looks better on the butterscotches.

Nice brush :thumbup1:

Top Bottom