What's new

Hot Shaving Towel Nirvana

Gather around Gentlemen, it's story time. So SWMBO is out of the house today and my Son is down for a nap, after I ran him ragged playing out side on the swing and watering the yard and trees. So what's a man to do with with 3 hours of free time? SHAVE OF COURSE!

Well a few weeks ago some one was nice enough to post a video on Truefitt & Hill Shaving. Long story short the gentleman asked the Barber if this type of shave can be done at home and the Barber says yes. Along the lines the Barber says you can microwave a wet towel for 2 minutes to use for a nice hot towel.

Gentleman in life we all have 2 minutes to indulge ourselves. So after my shower I soaked down a face towel with hot water and rang it out a bit and stuck it in a square microwave bowl. While it was cooking I went back to the bathroom and lathered up my brush with Mitchell's Wool Fat. Buzzer went off and I went to grab it. Once I was back in the Den I wet my face with hot/warm water and lathered up. The towel was pretty hot, to hot to put on my face. I held it by the corners and gently swayed it back and forth to cool it a bit watching the steam rise in the mirror. Once it felt a tad cooler still hot though, I then wrapped it around my face and pulled it back tightly.

Standing with this hot towel wrapped around my face I closed my eyes and smelled the light luscious scent of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Each breath I took was warm and soothing. I drifted into Nirvana, with not a care in the world. All I could hear was the clock ticking and sound of my warm breath inhaling and exhaling. Once the towel started cooling down I took it off, wet my face, re-lathered and went to work with a fresh Medical Prep and my 34' Aristocrat. Pass one WTG, Pass two XTG (east west) and Pass three XTG (west east). I was getting ready for pass four ATG, and thought why not another Hot Towel?

So I soaked down the towel again and set it to cook, went back to the Den and re-lathered my brush just because...buzzer went off brought back the towel and did it all over again enjoying the hot towel and warm breaths. Pure and absolute bliss my friends! I finished my ATG pass and then a clean up pass. Rinsed warm, then cold, pat dried, Witch Hazel and then some Wild Country.

Gentlemen I urge all of you to microwave that hot towel and treat yourself to a wonderful shave. When it was all said and done I had spent 28 minutes on my shave and now I am just simply relaxed, with out a care in the world! :thumbup:

Sounds very pleasant. The thing is, though, I just can't see myself trotting up and down the stairs in my "whatevers" to set up and retrieve the towel (twice!). One aspect of the peacefulness of the shave, for me, is the ability to be relatively still while I do it. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

I've done this a couple Of times I find 30-60 sec is enough for the towel anything more u really gotta wait for it to cool down. Also the towels I initially used were wash cloths, u need something a bit bigger that you can wrap around so the heat stays for a bit. I shaved in the bath last night.

Sounds very pleasant. The thing is, though, I just can't see myself trotting up and down the stairs in my "whatevers" to set up and retrieve the towel (twice!). One aspect of the peacefulness of the shave, for me, is the ability to be relatively still while I do it. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

Just put the microwave in the bathroom. Problem solved.

You can replace the microwave with a large bowl and a hot pot and have your setup stay right there in the bathroom. I'd also suggest getting yourself a set of dedicated hand towels (these are about 15 x 25 inches - not washcloths, they are too small to really hold the heat). Fold the towel twice in the same direction, leaving the width intact (like you'd fold a letter) and you'll have a 4 thickness towel that is a perfect size and holds a LOT of water and heat.

To use, have a seat on the cunningly provided multipurpose chair commonly found in the bathroom, put the bowl on the floor at your feet and let the very lightly wrung towel drip into the bowl as you sit leaning over with your elbows on your knees holding the towel in place. A visible clock is handy to make sure you get the full 3 minutes you so richly deserve. If you feel the need of a double dose, you can start more water heating before you put the first towel on.

You can replace the microwave with a large bowl and a hot pot and have your setup stay right there in the bathroom. I'd also suggest getting yourself a set of dedicated hand towels (these are about 15 x 25 inches - not washcloths, they are too small to really hold the heat). Fold the towel twice in the same direction, leaving the width intact (like you'd fold a letter) and you'll have a 4 thickness towel that is a perfect size and holds a LOT of water and heat.

Not sure the brand of towel I used just picked it up at walmart for like 3 or 4 bucks. This is one of my larger face towels and was just splendid! I am not sure I will be able to do this prep every day but it sure would be nice to get in at least one towel and maybe I will limit my shaves back down to three passes. I tell you if I could start each and every day like this I don't think there is anything they day brings that I couldn't handle. Even now almost 6 hours later I am still relaxed and just in such a cheerful mood. I have never had a shave do me quite like that :lol: I always enjoy my shaves but this one took me to another place I haven't been :laugh:

To all those out there needing a little relaxation I assure you this is it! The other thing I remember from the video was also using a few drops of your favorite aftershave in the towel for a more relaxing towel wrap. Darn that I can't find the video!

I actually just tried a hot towel for the first time last week. It was indeed really really nice. The water here is hot enough to burn, so microwaving wasn't needed either.

Is this it?

Yes thats the one! Thanks!!

I actually just tried a hot towel for the first time last week. It was indeed really really nice. The water here is hot enough to burn, so microwaving wasn't needed either.

I to have tried the hot water under my sink as well. We have a hot water recirculation pump that was part of the house so we get instant hot water. It is nice, but the microwaving proves to be WAAAAAAAY better. I would almost say it's like your face is in a hot sana. I would highly recommend trying it out :thumbup1:

My tap water will scald you. I use a thin cotton barber towel with a green stripe. A light squeeze to get out the excess water and apply to my face. The best part is at the end of the shave and I have toweled off the excess cream remnants...I will wave the towel back and forth to cool it and apply it to my face to close the pores. It's just not a shave without it.

I personally wanted this too, and so I tried to make it come to fruition by submitting a proposal to create it through Quirky. Behold the personal washcloth steamer for wet shaving: http://www.quirky.com/ideations/79288

If we get enough votes for it in the next ~2 days, they'll actually seriously consider building it. Takes about 90 seconds to vote.

Here's a photo of me testing it with an electric vegetable steamer: https://twitter.com/#!/troyd/status/93777849948971008. There's a big difference between a towel that was only warmed by hot water and one that's was steamed for a minute or two. Blades just glide.

So that barber collectors towel warmer totally reminded me of the clean shaven man post with the video of Popeye lol.

Anyways, I just explained to someone why I use my hot water and not a boiling hot towel from the microwave or a towel warmer, but now I have to try this lol.

Just as an aside, the towels I use I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond and are the bamboo towels (panda safe of course). The nice thing about them is they don't have that line of like stitched tight cloth to interrupt the softness of the towel, you know on hand towels how they are soft and then near the ends they have that line of cloth that isn't as soft?

I think RoyalShave or somewhere has some actual barber towels that they sell as well?

Top Bottom