What's new

Bring the shine back?

Hi guys, I'm working on my first restore. The brush is a Simms. I have removed the knot with no problems. I am looking to bring the shine back to this tired looking handle, any recommendations on the best way to do this. here is a pick of the handle

Also if anyone knows anything about this particular handle I'd be interested in hearing that.

On the bottom of the handle it says: (I tried to get a pic, but my camera is no good)

Simms - made in Canada
Set in rubber
Sterilized

thanks,

That looks in great shape. I have a couple buffers so for that I would start gently with a red rouge and finish on a stick made to polish soft metals and plastic. Then a hand rub with one of several polishes I have.

By hand you could probably use a rubbing compound followed by a polish with Flitz or the like.

If it has scratches I can't see in the photo light sanding with high grit wet-dry followed by compound and polish should do it.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Last edited:
Sean I have one of those in Badger it is a great brush. On another thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=195034 they are saying tooth paste. I have also used those micro mesh pads with water and it seems to work well. You most likely have tooth paste around the house so give it a try first. Here is a picture of mine on on the left with original price tag of $7.50

thanks for the advice guys. I will try to toothpaste option and see where it goes from there.

I got this brush as a freebie added in with a box full of straight blades I'm planning on restoring. 12 blades and the brush for $10, can't really go wrong there.

I'll post pics as I go along.

Trenton, what size knot did you use with your handle?

Sean I got mine new in box, original price was $7.50. It is most likely best badger, it is a nice brush to use, lots of back bone but soft.

I see you are in Fergus I might be there this summer for CanIron the Canadian Blacksmithing Conference.

thanks for the info Trenton, if you find yourself here for the conference, let me know, maybe we can meet up for a beer or something.

Top Bottom