What's new

NOT for the Williams hater or the faint of heart! PIC

OK: SO: I took 2 cakes of Williams and 2 cakes of Vanderhagen Deluxe. I took a grater and ground them all to dust. I folded them as best I could, found I was kneading, as though I were making bread. THEN I took a beer glass and kinda pounded it in & made it nice & compressed. It will fill an entire coffee mug. MY mug is like the 2-cuppa-joe, so it was half full (note not half empty, LOL!) ANYWAY, I moistened the top of it and let it dry for a bit. THEN I had to try the lather, SO, I took a parker silvertip and made a lather in a bowl. The COLOR of the cake is kinda the same color of the vanderhagen, but he scent of the lather is Williams dominant, BUT what I DID notice was that the LATHER was the SAME THICKNESS and SAME DENSITY as TABAC or any other triple milled soap. I was ASTONISHED!!! HOW DENSE that stuff was, I was amazed!!!!! It has ALL the moistening qualities (shea butter, aloe) of the vanderhagen & the tallowing properties of the Williams. NOW, yeah, there are people who groan at the names, but I'm giving these puppies a new look. Maybe ya can't drink vodka straight, but Screwdrivers are more appealing? I think the same hold true with Vanderhagen and WIlliams. I think the two compliment each other SPLENDIDLY as ONE MIXTURE of SOAP!!!!! Has ANYONE ELSE DONE THIS???? I CAN'T be the first!!! Check out the pic!!! NOTE: THESE were my learning pucks before I ever KNEW there was a B&B.....I honestly didn't know what was out there, so that's why I had as much as I did of this stuff. LOL, I didn't know better.....

Last edited:
I kinda figure I gave the williams something the queen would need to be king. LOL! Williams is alright by itself, it's just boredom set in & a certain curiosity was looming, and MAN was I right! I mean, WIlliams, never in a million years could lather this well without help. It was triple milled quality - density lather. It's the quality of triple milled for 3 bucks! (one cake of each):thumbup:

Experimenting can be a fun part of this obsession of ours. Sounds like you like the results of your experiment. Congrats!

Van Der Williams?? That's just wrong....so very wrong....:lol::lol::001_rolle:001_rolle

It has been commented often, that the thing modern Williams lacks the most is glycerin. Hence adding some Aqua Velva to the lathering bowl instantly improves the lather.

You have effectively done the same thing: taking the glycerin rich VDH, and combining it with the Williams.

It's an experiment I might just try at some point....:lol::lol:

Actually, I suspect the hardcore Williams haters will like this, taking it as evidence that Williams can't stand on its own.

Of course, many of us know better, but why not experiment if you like? I keep a frankensoap tub, with the odds and ends of soaps that are almost gone. It's hard to keep track of what's in there by now.

I keep a frankensoap tub, with the odds and ends of soaps that are almost gone. It's hard to keep track of what's in there by now.

Yay! clownbarf!

proxy.php
proxy.php

SOOO Glad I am not the first to think of doing this. But I got to thinking. What goes in a triple milled soap? (now this stuff I made is soft) I think I'm on to something here.....for 5 or 6 bucks in a pinch w. a cheese grater, you can have a luxury lather. Hot dang, I did it! It's going to last me quite a while!!!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
SOOO Glad I am not the first to think of doing this. But I got to thinking. What goes in a triple milled soap? (now this stuff I made is soft) I think I'm on to something here.....for 5 or 6 bucks in a pinch w. a cheese grater, you can have a luxury lather. Hot dang, I did it! It's going to last me quite a while!!!

I Like your excitement, congrats on the lather! :thumbup1:

I like VDH just fine on its own. The only thing I don't get is why you needed two pucks of each. It seems like one of each would have done it.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.

I'm pretty sure the general ingredients in most, if not all, shaving soaps is pretty consistent, with the cold process (like Conk or Mama Bear) having more glycerin and some others like MWF having a ton of lanolin. The difference between a hard soap (like Williams) and a triple milled soap seems to be that the triple milled have been milled (basically ground) three times and remixed after each milling then packed into a tub or bowl. I think the reason the triple milled soaps lather so much better than the hard milled ones is that the milling process 'softens' them up a bit (softens might not be the right word). Has anyone tried re-grating, Williams, maybe in a food processor, to see if it lathers easier? I intend to get a puck of Williams to see if I have the same problems mentioned by so many others.

Great. I got a delightful mishmash of soaps pressed into a bar as a "throw in" from my Mama Bear order, and now every time I see it I'm going to get a mental image of Bozo hurling his guts out. Thanks Telecaster52.

I love this place. :lol:

Great. I got a delightful mishmash of soaps pressed into a bar as a "throw in" from my Mama Bear order, and now every time I see it I'm going to get a mental image of Bozo hurling his guts out. Thanks Telecaster52.

I love this place. :lol:

Well that would be cheaper for Bozo than having a Doctor perform an endoscopy! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Actually, I suspect the hardcore Williams haters will like this, taking it as evidence that Williams can't stand on its own.

Ahh, beat us to it. We've said it time and again, Williams works great as long as you add something to it that can make a lather. Thanks for supporting our case!

Ahh, beat us to it. We've said it time and again, Williams works great as long as you add something to it that can make a lather. Thanks for supporting our case!

Yep, I would just rather use a product that didn't need "improvement" to function as intended. :001_rolle:001_rolle

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
BUT what I DID notice was that the LATHER was the SAME THICKNESS and SAME DENSITY as TABAC or any other triple milled soap.

First off, I like both VDH and Williams- I can make both work. But to have to put that much work into it- I will stick with the good stuff (DR Harris). I have to say BS to the last part- there is no way that two mediocre (at best) soaps can combine to make better a quality soap. That is like saying you can toss a Little Caesars and a Domino's pizza together and get a better product than Lombardi's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombardi's_Pizza

Top Bottom