What's new

Arko Shave Sticks?

Did anyone mix(I think it is called superlather?) Arko with other soap? which soap or cream goes well with it.

I didn't care for the smell either, so I gently melted -- well really just softened -- an Arko stick in a tub floated in hot (not boiling!) water. Then I mixed in about 1/3 bottle of Kiss My Face Lavender Moisture Shave (cream). This mitigated the "urinal puck" smell, and now smells more like the old Ivory Flakes laundry detergent. Not at all unpleasant! Works pretty well.

Last edited:
I just sent an email to ARKO telling them they have a fan base here in the states, pointed them towards B&B and told them, IMHO, that if they marketed the same soap in the USA with a rose or sandalwood scent they'd clean up.

Who knows, maybe they'll do it? :001_rolle

One of the best soaps around and not just for the buck. When you like citrussy scents you will be safe. Not like the urinal cakes in our region for sure. Though the scent is nothing special I really like it; smells like a superb shave to me. :thumbup1:

+1,000,000!!! It has clean soapy scent. :w00t:

I don't understand where these "urinal puck" scent reference keep coming from. :confused1

It's not a urinal puck smell at all. It's artificial lemons. But the performance is astounding for the price. Rich, thick, slick, glistening lather.

If I had the choice between Arko and Euro-palmolive I would definitely go for Euro-palmolive. Arko lathers up nicely but IMO, it is no way as protective as palmolive. On the whole Arko is ok, I am glad I tried it and I will use it now and then until I have finished it but I do not think I will buy it again.

I don't understand the Arko hype. I have never tried it, but when I read how people describe the performance the words just reak of palmolive :tongue_sm, without the actual reaking.

I think when a soap has an "off" smell it just draws more curiosity to it (williams, tabac come to mind).

If I had the choice between Arko and Euro-palmolive I would definitely go for Euro-palmolive. Arko lathers up nicely but IMO, it is no way as protective as palmolive. On the whole Arko is ok, I am glad I tried it and I will use it now and then until I have finished it but I do not think I will buy it again.

I use both regularly and while I think EU-Palmolive is a very good soap I rank Arko higher; especially the protective properties....YMMV :wink2:

It's not a urinal puck smell at all. It's artificial lemons. But the performance is astounding for the price. Rich, thick, slick, glistening lather.

what scent do you think is one of the most popular for urinal pucks? LEMON:a47:

seriously though if you can get over the scent arko is a great shaving soap. especially for like 2 or 3 bucks a stick. i just couldn't help feeling like i was shaving in a truck stop bathroom the few times i used it though.

Arko is one of my favorite soaps. I like the smell of urinal cakes. I pick them up and rub them on my wrists and neck when no one is looking. The ladies like the way it makes me smell. Too bad Arko's scent doesn't last that long. It smells just like Williams soap to me. But, my gosh does it lather wonderfully. Little trick, it lathers EVEN BETTER when you mold it into a mug. Cut it up into little slices then layer and press down into a mug. :thumbup:

Rick, good one and great sense of humour; Arko sticks can also be mixed with other soaps, menthol added, or combined since it is mallable. It is a huge bargain for the quality of lather.

If I were to try and describe the scent, I'd equate it to the industrial orange handwash that works so well, only with lemon as the leading scent. Very industrial, very potent, but not foul. I don't love it, but I do love the performance.

When I first opened my stick of Arko, it was rather potent but not in any way unpleasant. I agree with those who say it resembles Ivory soap. After a month or so, the potency of the scent had greatly reduced and, in my opinion, become quite pleasant. As to performance, I have found nothing easier to generate thick, slick lather with. I use the European formulation of Palmolive, but if forced to choose only one, would go for the Arko. I get a denser more cushioning lather with it. Interestingly, I had my son, now 18, try several soaps and creams and he prefers face lathering with Arko out of all of them. I think I understand why as it very easy to learn with, being nearly impossible to mess up.

Super cheap, very slick and great lather. Go to Amazon and buy a box, I did. Gave some away for Xmas in the hopes to convert some to wet shaving. It worked, they like the stuff. I can see where the smell can turn some folks off, I personally like the smell and the performance. My daughter had an exchange student friend from Turkey over a couple of weeks ago, and she laughed when I told her that I have some and use it. She knew all about it!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I like Arko, but I prefer to use it as a soap puck rather than a stick. I have been having trouble getting enough lather using it as a stick and have to top up part way through the shave.

The first few times I used it as a stick it worked OK. However, now it seems to be more difficult to work with. Any thoughts?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Somebody is going to come out with a product called "Willarkovegetal-300"
and heads are going to explode all over this place.

I agree with Deltaboy, (as usual)...the stuff doesn't really smell bad, it's just strong at first, but that goes away.

Willarkovegetal-300 made all the bristles fall out of my brush, ate through the sink drain, the dog died, the wife filed for divorce, and my truck caught on fire. I am gonna miss that truck:001_smile

Top Bottom