What's new

Differences between Italian soap creams

Was hoping for some advice/information....

I am planning to try out some Italian soap cream and have been greatly enabled by Marco's beautiful reviews but the question is which one first and how different are they from each other ?

Unfortunately being at the top of the world means shipping is a killer so even though the soaps aren't that pricey the shipping is a deal breaker.

So how would you choose between Cella, Valobra and now Vitos? Are they that different from each other ? From the reviews it seems they are on par performance wise - how about scent (almond vs almond) ?

Or do I just choose the packaging I like :001_smile

P.S.
If it helps - I bowl lather and have so far only used Palmolive cream, MWF and Tabac. MWF would be my favourite because of the pasticky lather and heavenly smell - shock! horror! it's even nicer than Tabac :blushing:

Robin,

I have tried :

Cella Crema Da Barba (150g red tub)

Cella Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima (1 kg)

P160 Morbido

P160 Duro

Valobra Crema Sapone Purissima (almond)

Of these, the Cellas are my favourites due to their performance.

The aromas are a matter of personal preference.

I will certainly try the new Vitos soaps !

Good luck !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Was hoping for some advice/information....

I am planning to try out some Italian soap cream and have been greatly enabled by Marco's beautiful reviews but the question is which one first and how different are they from each other ?

Unfortunately being at the top of the world means shipping is a killer so even though the soaps aren't that pricey the shipping is a deal breaker.

So how would you choose between Cella, Valobra and now Vitos? Are they that different from each other ? From the reviews it seems they are on par performance wise - how about scent (almond vs almond) ?

Or do I just choose the packaging I like :001_smile

P.S.
If it helps - I bowl lather and have so far only used Palmolive cream, MWF and Tabac. MWF would be my favourite because of the pasticky lather and heavenly smell - shock! horror! it's even nicer than Tabac :blushing:

Robin, first of all thank you very much for the nice words! The obvious answer is: get them all. But I do understand that shipping so distant could be an issue. If I were you I'd proceed as follows:

I'd order a portion of Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima (250 g should be OK) and in the same order I'd add one stick of Valobra, Sapone per barba that is really cheap and light, so it won't increase shipping costs. If you can, also add a bowl of Acca Kappa 1869 (again, reasonably priced and light). In a second moment, if you like Italian tallow based soft soaps, order Vitos. Just my opinion.

Robin, first of all thank you very much for the nice words! The obvious answer is: get them all. But I do understand that shipping so distant could be an issue. If I were you I'd proceed as follows:

I'd order a portion of Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima (250 g should be OK) and in the same order I'd add one stick of Valobra, Sapone per barba that is really cheap and light, so it won't increase shipping costs. If you can, also add a bowl of Acca Kappa 1869 (again, reasonably priced and light). In a second moment, if you like Italian tallow based soft soaps, order Vitos. Just my opinion.

I totally concur with Marco's suggestion. Top of the list should be Cella, my favourite Italian soap. The Valobra stick is also tallow, and performs better IMO than the Valobra soft soaps, as good as they both are. For a cream, then AK 1869 is a sure winner. A sweeter almond than Cella, it's fantastic on a cold, winter's morning due to the lanolin and shea butter. Once you have tried these offerings from Italy, you'll be hooked!:thumbup:

Robin

I can put you in touch with a place in Auckland which stocks Santa Maria Novella - not the cheapest Italian but worth the money.

Our fellow board member ManCave sells Proraso and Omega at www.mancave.co.nz . He's in Christchurch and selling as normal but buying from him has a double hit; you can feel good about putting money into Christchurch and you'll get some good shave gear!

Hope this helps,

Roy

Thanks Roy,

Mancave was where I bought my first brush and cream - definitely the best selection of shaving products available locally and excellent service. I am preparing to get some Proraso aftershave and cream from there shortly as I want to give menthol a go.

Appreciate everyone's advice - I also now have a longer list of creams to check. Marco - I will probably go with your advice. But the Acca Kappa suggestion really hit home when I saw a similarity between the tube and Fahrenheit - which is a favourite scent - even better was I found it online here in NZ.

Will have to get the 1kg of Cella as I want to frame the box cover for the shave den - that bloke always brings a smile to my face.

cheers

Good choice! I have not tired every one Marco or you listed, but Cella is easily my favorite of the ones I have tired.

Will have to get the 1kg of Cella as I want to frame the box cover for the shave den - that bloke always brings a smile to my face.

+1

One thing I have noticed about the Italian soaps is the high consistent quality of them.

I have tried the Cella block and it is now in my permanent collection.

When the weather is hot Proraso is my favourite. I prefer it to Valobra menthol because Proraso is easier to lather and has a greater hit of menthol. It goes brilliantly with the Pre-post shave treatment.

I may try the P 160 one day, but will it outperform Cella?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
One thing I have noticed about the Italian soaps is the high consistent quality of them.

I have tried the Cella block and it is now in my permanent collection.

When the weather is hot Proraso is my favourite. I prefer it to Valobra menthol because Proraso is easier to lather and has a greater hit of menthol. It goes brilliantly with the Pre-post shave treatment.

I may try the P.160 one day, but will it outperform Cella?

No, it won't. At least in my opinion Cella has slightly better moisturizing properties and IMHO better scent. Vitos Extra Super is a worthy challenger now...

Cella (soft) & Valobra/AoS/C&S (hard-ish) are top of the pile. Truth be told most of them are very similar, especially scent-wise, but these two stand out as wetshaving 'must tries'.

I tried the Valobra menthol morbido and was a little put off at first because it didn't seem to be very fragrant. But after using it a few times I really began to like it; it has a subtle uniqueness about it, and it has a refreshing menthol hit as well.

I think it would be well worth trying--I surely won't be without it.

The now discontinued P.160 Tipo Morbido is at the top of my list. It outperformed everything. Valobra is pretty good too. I am been thinking about what might replace the P.160 when it runs out and I think I'll try to figure a way to get the Vitos.

--james

I would go with Cella too!

Although, I really, really like the fragrance of AK 1869 (so much so that I've also got the aftershave!)

... the Acca Kappa suggestion really hit home when I saw a similarity between the tube and Fahrenheit - which is a favourite scent - even better was I found it online here in NZ.

Robin

Marco's review for Acca Kappa was the tub not the tube. I bought the tub after reading Marco's review and it is every bit as good as he says it is. I believe the tube is the old formulation. Where did you find it online here in Godzone?

Roy

Robin

Marco's review for Acca Kappa was the tub not the tube. I bought the tub after reading Marco's review and it is every bit as good as he says it is. I believe the tube is the old formulation. Where did you find it online here in Godzone?

Roy

The tube is definitely the old formulation and doesn't contain lanolin and shea butter, both of which contribute to make the new version so great.

Top Bottom