What's new

1st few DE shaves

So last week i got my Merkur HD and a few other goodies. I had been having dfs' with my mach 3 and co bigolow. The first shave with the DE was really good, however the other day when I shaved again i ended up hacking up my face :( The lather seemed a bit too wet and it was the second use of the blade in the razor. I'm not quite sure what I did wrong but i'm going to try using a fresh blade and see if that was the problem.

What kind of blade are you using? Using a new one again may be a good idea.
If your lather was too wet, your beard and skin won't be ready for a razor.
Prep is at least half the shave, and technic is most of the rest of the shave.

No harm in changing the blade, but if it was fine on the first use, it should certainly be good for one more, unless something obviously bad happened to it in the meantime (and you'd probably have noticed).

Lather does make a big difference; but it could be just one of those things. Some people get off to a flying start and apparently never look back; some struggle to make progress for a good while; at this stage, I'd say just concentrate on doing things a little better next time.

No harm in changing the blade, but if it was fine on the first use, it should certainly be good for one more, unless something obviously bad happened to it in the meantime (and you'd probably have noticed).

Lather does make a big difference; but it could be just one of those things. Some people get off to a flying start and apparently never look back; some struggle to make progress for a good while; at this stage, I'd say just concentrate on doing things a little better next time.

+1 I was just thinking that I have been using a Feather blade for an awfully long time, I must have 15 shaves on it, but then I thought........nah!

Spend at least a minute With your brush face lathering. It will be time wel spent. You'd have to have the beard from hell to not get two decent shaves from a blade. Keep at it, it gets better, much better.

My first few shaves left me looking like I'd been pummeling a velociraptor with my face, you quickly learn though! :laugh: I've been using a DE for about 6 weeks and haven't nicked myself for about 5. Although that damned alum block still stings occasionally so I can't have perfected my techique just yet!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Jonofd:
First of all, I think Congrats are in order on your first DE shave (and a 'good play' on getting a Merkur HD [I have the 23C & 38C]).
proxy.php

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

It sounds like you (re-check your technique, razor angle, ect...), are well on your way to (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom), excellence. As always, we're here to assist you in your DE experience. :lol1:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Jonofd:
First of all, I think Congrats are in order on your first DE shave (and a 'good play' on getting a Merkur HD [I have the 23C & 38C]).

+1
I was going to add last night that 1 decent shave, one not so good is a perfectly respectable score card after the first 2 goes with a DE, but it was late and the words wouldn't seem to go in the right order...

Best of luck with the 3rd

Top Bottom