What's new

1911 Handgun...

I've had Colts, Springfields, ParaOrdnances, Remingtons. I still favor the Colt Combat Commander or Colt Commander but the ParaOrdnace Colonel P14 is very appealing-high cap, double action trigger, totally reliable, very accurate and in the price range if you shop around.

My 1911 of choice is a Kimber Tactical - They are great guns and very well made, but they are pricey +/- $1000. The Kimbers are very 'tight' (tolerances) which makes them consistently accurate, but they also tend to jam more often.

I love 1911s. They can have the best trigger you've ever felt. They can be completely reliable and unbelievably accurate. Or they can be a pain in the ***.
If you're a casual shooter, I would under NO circumstances use a 1911 for anything more than range use. If you plan or carrying it, you need to be prepared to work on it and spend more as 1911s require more maintenance than most modern guns. If you're good with that, then a 1911 may be for you.

For under $1,000 there isn't any stock 1911s that I would trust to carry. Kimbers are not what they used to be and are unfortunately hit and miss these days. I have one that's been great, and I had one that would not run for anything, even after trips to the factory. This is a well known issue with Kimbers these days. I would not recommend them any more.

Colts are usually a good bet. I would caution you against getting anything under a 4 1/4" (commander) barrel. Anything under that is notorious for issues. Stick with commander or government size guns regardless of brands.

Here's my recommendation. Pick up an entry level Colt or Springfield with NO add ons. I say that, because at this point you don't know what you need in a 1911. I bought my Kimber and found out after a few thousand rounds that I didn't care for certain things...but it was too late. Get one of those two. Shoot it a lot. Then save your money. Then, make a list of things you want...perhaps new sights, replacing the cheap internals most companies use, maybe checkering the front strap, a new beavertail or a magwell. Send it off to a competent smith to do your work. Then when you get it back you'll have maybe $1,500 in a semi-custom pistol that is better than any production gun on the market and has everything you want with nothing you don't.

I highly recommend Tripp Cobra mags as well.

I know a lot of people will come on here and say they have perfect luck with Kimbers, or their Phillipine imports. That's fine, but remember it's a sample of one. Also, many people that claim this aren't people who shoot a lot.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I had noted the centennial earlier this year .. having not a .45, went to a couple local well stocked gun shops, my range included. There is a bereft of 1911's around, I went thinking to trade ( H&K .40), couldn't find many of the 1911 Browning's finest. Lots of tupperguns, all models, all calibers ..

Here's my 1911:

proxy.php

:lol: Sorry, couldn't help myself. I just wanted to "cleanse the palate" :thumbup:

I have had a few 1911s. The one I have kept,carried and shot for years is my Rock Island. Very basic, 1911 pattern. The only upgrades have been grips, springs and sights. Still a bit under $500 invested. It's no Wilson or Kimber but it has never had a failure, except some of my bad reloads. Accuracy is very good, as in it makes me look good most days.

My absoulte favorite hand gun ever! I had a Wilson CQB in 4" that was just awesome. I sold it (I'm not really sure why, AD I guess) and picked up an H&K USP Tactical and a Kimber Custom TLE II. All are very accurate pistols.

As far as recommendations, they come in so many different flavors that you can really get exactly what you want. There are so many excellent aftermarket parts available that you can customize away once you do get what you want.

Here's my Kimber (Wilson grips, Wilson mag well, Wilson buffer kit, Wilson extended slide release, Ambi safety...not installed yet):
proxy.php

Last edited:
I've got a Colt Gold Cup Stainless Series 80 that shoots real nice.

I've also got a (Gasp!) Norinco Commander length pistol that just flat out runs and runs.

I had a Star PD that I really liked, but I shot it so much that the frame cracked. I've been leery of aluminum framed .45s since, but I bet there are good ones out there.

IMHO, the jazzed up versions of the old warhorse are fine and are certainly a joy to own and brag about, but in a tight spot the GI style versions with the simple sights and the the sloppy tolerances are still as effective now as they were when the thing was invented, and that's plenty effective.

Just to be strange, I've also got a S&W M1917 revolver in .45 ACP. :thumbup1:

Having owned a 1911, a Springfield Armory XD (my go to pistol), S&W Model 625 in 45 ACP, and currently a carbine in 45 ACP. I would say that any 1911 is a good choice, my BIL has a Rock Island 1911 that shoots like a dream for the price, about $450. Seriously look into the used higher end models.

Top Bottom