What's new

Ok, I have a stoopid question:

WHAT is the purpose of an OPEN comb? I can ONLY imagine it would be for LONGER beards whereas a closed comb would be for the whiskers? What's the open comb all about? Mine are all closed comb. THANX!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The open comb is a different model of razor. Some say that it works better with longer beard (+2 days of growth) but I honestly didn't feel a difference. Before DE razor had a safety bar, they were open combs.

From a manufacturing standpoint an open comb is very easy to make on common equipment. Beard bar razors can be made faster with more specialzed equipment using dies that can only make the one part.

Phil

Three features of the open comb:

• Works better with longer whiskers (as you pointed out), without clogging.
  • There is no safety bar wiping away the cream ahead of the blade, so the blade edge gets maximum lubrication.
  • Great for hairs that lie flat against the skin, because the safety bar isn't pressing them down.

Three features of the open comb:

• Works better with longer whiskers (as you pointed out), without clogging.
  • There is no safety bar wiping away the cream ahead of the blade, so the blade edge gets maximum lubrication.

[*]Great for hairs that lie flat against the skin, because the safety bar isn't pressing them down.

And with that, you've sold me on trying an open comb style razor. :thumbup:

I can't feel the difference even though I enjoy both types as well as a slant razor. I suppose as my technic gets more refined, I'll better be able to judge. Right now the difference between my DE's how aggressively they shave.

I just got my Merkur 11c HD 2 days ago :thumbup:

I can't want to try it tomorrow morning. I wanted to wait till the weekend so I can take my time.

The OC is great on longer beard growth. As your technique with the OC improves you may find yourself using that OC for every DE shave, as that OC does give a bit of a different shave.

There are times when I'm using my DE I'll use my OC for the first pass, and my closed comb for my second pass and any cleanup.

One of the nice things about having and using both types of DE's, is your ability to customize your shave. If you have both types of razors, experiment around using both, and see what you come up with. :thumbup1:

Open comb razors are enjoyed by the crustiest of crabs, CPOs. :lol:

Try to get your hands on a true open comb razor. They are great. I really like them when I have been lazy and have 2 or 3 days growth.

Crustiest of crabs in the smelliest goat locker? LOL...hooyeah chief, LOL! Yeah, I saw an open comb at the antique store where I picked up my Gillette Superspeed (Date code K-1)(1st qtr. 1965) and there WAS an open comb, I think 1912 was the date it was manufactured, BUT< there was rust here & there on the comb between the teeth. I wasn't too thrilled about restoring that, the idea kinda bugged me, so I stuck w. the gillette. Maybe as time goes by, I'll get an open comb, I was the winner of a PIF & someone is sending me a SE razor w. Lord Blades, so we'll see if this one has an open comb. I'm curious to see how this thing performs compared to a DE. (ugh, if I like it, that's more blades I have to get, LOL)

once your have your confidence, nothing beats an open comb, well besides a straight, but thats a whole different ball game. Get an OC and give it a drive asap, you wont regret it.

just dont over pay, I have a few single edge open combs that arent pretty but work well, that I can part with for cheap....as in less than 10 shipped

I've been using this Gibbs open-comb razor for about a week, with good results. Unlike some other Gibbs razors, this one uses standard DE blades.

proxy.php

(Big sigh) Great...I thought I was all set with the two DEs that I have but now I MUST (RAD) get an open comb.

Is three razors in thirty days too much, too fast? (rhetorical):a29:

I got 3 razors in two. LOL. Yeah, I'm done buying for a while, the cabinet below my sink looks like it's stashed for doomsday!

Top Bottom