What's new

Recycling cigar boxes

Dug out my digital camera and took a few. Let's see if I can upload them. The Cusano18 box is the Toro size and it's not Q-tips, but CVS brand swabs; guessing they're the same size. The box in with the blade packs is a sample size of some eye drops that I use as a used blade safe; when it's full, I'll get something else for it. The Fuente box can probably hold 80+ packs of blades. The white labels on the lower left and upper left of the lid of the R&J box is the Surgeon General's warning about smoking. The big black mug will be replaced by a Dirty Bird Original scuttle when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Looks like a great setup. I don't smoke, so I don't have any old cigar boxes lying around, but I wish I did!

Legion

Staff member
Looks like a great setup. I don't smoke, so I don't have any old cigar boxes lying around, but I wish I did!

I don't smoke much anymore myself, but I never go past the opportunity to pick up the boxes if I can. I keep all sorts of things in them but the two I see at the moment, one has my fountain pens and one has bottles of ink.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It probably isn't the best idea, but they don't usually stay in there for very long :tongue_sm

This box in particular actually seals up pretty tight (due to the fact that it is equipped with a latch and requires compression of the lid/inner seal to engage the latch) and shares very similar construction to a humidor. For humidification, I currently just have a puck that I pulled from another humidor, but a crystal tube would be ideal.

Image00001.jpg

A lot of cigar boxes work well as humidors. The Fuente OpusX box has the required lip around the interior that seals well against the lid. I have several boxes that don't fit in my large cabinet humi that have the lip and I keep those cigars in their box with one of the crystal gel tubes. The work excellently.

Sweet looking boxes..................:thumbup:
Dug out my digital camera and took a few. Let's see if I can upload them. The Cusano18 box is the Toro size and it's not Q-tips, but CVS brand swabs; guessing they're the same size. The box in with the blade packs is a sample size of some eye drops that I use as a used blade safe; when it's full, I'll get something else for it. The Fuente box can probably hold 80+ packs of blades. The white labels on the lower left and upper left of the lid of the R&J box is the Surgeon General's warning about smoking. The big black mug will be replaced by a Dirty Bird Original scuttle when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

I keep all my boxes, my kids use them to store Hotwheels, pocket knives, jewelry and whatever else. I still have the first box that I ever purchased, Royal Jamaican No. 2 "En Tubos", purchased when I was 19 (20 years ago). It has never felt right to discard any of them. My children have destroyed their fair share of them so I'm not too overpopulated. I have at least 20 of them floating around somewhere. My favorite is the one from the Camacho Negro, heavy black box with banded rope inlaid all over it. I gave it to one of my boys for his pocket knife collection. The cigars weren't bad either.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I was at the smoke shop today, helping rearrange stock for better display; lighters, ashtrays and travel humidors. We got a LOT of work done, Saturdays are usually pretty quiet.

There were two pipe stands in the 25% off sale case we did a couple of weeks ago; I smoke pipes occasionally and have a couple of nice ones. The 2 pipe stand was marked $26 and the 6 pipe stand was unmarked, but probably went for about $50 or so. Bill gave them both to me for $37 including tax, $20 less than the marked and estimated prices with discount. The 6 pipe stand will be used for its original intention; I think I have maybe 5 pipes. The 2 pipe stand worked perfectly for what I guessed it would, my 2 Dovo straights. Actually better. The straights fit beautifully; snug without forcing them in. This freed me up to hang my Futur in the straight razor slot of my Dovo stand, which I prefer over the brass one I usually keep it in. The repurposed pipe stand looks good enough to keep on my bathroom rack for display. Gotta oil the straights, though. Maybe the wood, too.

Top Bottom