What's new

Wearing your age?

So today I was visiting a friend of mine. I took off my scarf, folded it, and handed it to my friend's wife to hang on a peg in the foyer. His wife, sniffing the air, takes the scarf and smells it.

"I knew something smelled like my grandmother. What is this?" she asked.

"Geo F. Trumper's Lavender Water" I say.

She wrinkles her nose and starts making coffee for my friend and I.

I'm twenty-six. I used to be pretty picky about fragrances and fragrance houses, but now I've taken to wear only two things: Musgo Real aftershave and G.F.T. Lavender Water. My wife has never really cared about my fragrances with the exception of Hammam Bouquet because again...smells like grandma.

Maybe grandma and I should hook up or something.

With that in mind, should I be looking into something new for my wardrobe? And if so, what's old school but doesn't "smell like grandma?" I'm looking for something in the vein of Musgo Real which is where my tastes lie - green, fougere-ish, and clean. Someone on here suggested Woods by Abercrombie and Fitch but I'm not so sure I feel comfortable buying a fragrance with a man's muscular torso on the front of it.

I think you should wear whatever you like and as per your preference I recommend Nobile Royalty by Alexander Da Costa which was recommended by tehtimmeh for lovers of fougeres. It's cheap too. The drydown may be a little too dirty if you like a purely clean scent all the way through though.

If you and your wife like it that is what matters.

I agree. If you like it and your wife is on board, everyone else can pretty much go to hell.

The argument can be made that those are more "mature" scents. But most of us wear scents for two reasons: we like it and/or women like it on us. You've got it made.

If you feel the need to find something more contemporary, there are certainly lots of possibilities. But we wet shavers are most a pretty traditional bunch.

I applaud a 26-year-old with the cojones to not limit themselves to the "scent du jour" and wear what he likes.

I might suggest Penhailgon's Sartorial or YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme as modern takes on a classic fougeres.

Last edited:
If you want a fragrance that smells like Musgo Real aftershave I strongly recommend YSL Rive Gauche. When I sampled this fragrance Musgo Real was the first thing I thought of, however at the same time it is a modern fragrance that younger girls seem to like.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you like it, wear it! I do go easy on brut as one girl told me she didn't like it.

Clearly your friend's granma is a ROCKER!

I suppose your friend's wife would prefer you smell like every one else, eh? She's lucky she has you and your wife to expand her world. (...and how does she scent her husband is an obvious question.)

Wear what you like.

...And get the HB back out. Every man needs a classic and slightly dirty rose scent in his arsenal.

Clearly your friend's granma is a ROCKER!

I suppose your friend's wife would prefer you smell like every one else, eh? She's lucky she has you and your wife to expand her world. (...and how does she scent her husband is an obvious question.)

Wear what you like.

...And get the HB back out. Every man needs a classic and slightly dirty rose scent in his arsenal.

Thanks to all.

Well, as to her husband, he doesn't wear any fragrance. With the exception of maybe deodorant. I tried to convert him to wet shaving and I failed.

At least the guy has good taste in beer.

I purchased a Trumper's sample kit and didn't like one of the scents.
They all smelled old to me.
But, if you like them that's all that counts.

Anything you choose to wear is going to be at risk for reminding someone, somewhere, of a scent that they are familiar with, because our memories are so closely tied to scent. You'll never get away from that. Wear a modern "fresh" scent and you'll smell like the majority. Wear a "barbershop" scent and you'll remind someone of their grandpa. Anything else is likely to conjure up memories of moms, grandmas, ex-boyfriends, etc.

I agree with others, if you've found something you and your mrs. both like, you've got it made! :thumbup1:

By the way, Musgo Real aftershave lotion projects more and lasts longer than many EdTs. You don't need anything else with this.

Anything you choose to wear is going to be at risk for reminding someone, somewhere, of a scent that they are familiar with, because our memories are so closely tied to scent. You'll never get away from that. Wear a modern "fresh" scent and you'll smell like the majority. Wear a "barbershop" scent and you'll remind someone of their grandpa. Anything else is likely to conjure up memories of moms, grandmas, ex-boyfriends, etc.

I agree with others, if you've found something you and your mrs. both like, you've got it made! :thumbup1:

By the way, Musgo Real aftershave lotion projects more and lasts longer than many EdTs. You don't need anything else with this.

Yeah, I tend not to wear anything else that MR if I'm wearing it for the day. Yesterday was a non-shave day so I splashed on the lavender.

Musgo Real really is my favorite scent. Right up there with the Lavender Water and Santa Maria Novella Vetiver aftershave.

I don't wear aftershaves that much. When I do it's usually Musgo Real. So if my grandkids met you, they might say you smelled like their grandfather. Hope that doesn't ruin MR for you. My other AS, and my wife's favorite, is Aqua Velva cut with witch hazel to lighten it up. I guess AV might be more age appropriate, but I prefer the MR. Don't worry about other people, wear what you, or your wife, like.

i'd like to but pretty much everythign smells like granpa. If you can find a nice cream or soap chances are u will never find a decent AS to go with it

Top Bottom