What's new

American Rocket

I was watching it and wondering what exactly it was.

is it a rocket? is it made in USA? was it in the wrong case?

Dunno...

Beautiful razor. :thumbup1:

Look closer.

It's not a run of the mill Milord.

It's got a gap that opens at the bottom of the handle when closed like an English Rocket. Look at the links highball posted.

It's one of the unicorns.

Look closer.

It's not a run of the mill Milord.

It's got a gap that opens at the bottom of the handle when closed like an English Rocket. Look at the links highball posted.

It's one of the unicorns.

I am unfamiliar with this 'unicorn'. What is it exactly? Does Krumholz mention this anywhere?

An American Rocket is just that.
A gold rocket made in the style of the Brit. Rockets but made in the USA.
It seems that they only made the one rocket in gold.

I don't think the name American Rocket is what they are actually called.
They may very well be a variant of a Milord.

Why they decided to make one, I don't know.
If you ever see any Gold rockets, pick them up. They aren't common.
Especially in good shape. The gold is notoriously thin on the Brit. gold rockets.

Like 'rare' or hard to catch.

Unicorn is an expression I use.

Even rarer is unicorn tears. They are said to remove crud and old shave soap from razors. I've even heard tales of unicorn tears repairing brassing and plating wear. One drop can restore the original factory finish to any razor. A blade dabbed in unicorn tears will NEVER go dull. It also will never cut the user or get rusty, EVER.

Just sayin....

The winner waaaaay overpaid. This cased Milord sold for $27 just last week, they can go up a little from there but $100 is a lot for a pretty SuperSpeed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gillette-Milord-TTO-Razor-1950-Case-/200579266262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb374b6d6

The one that sold for $27 is a Milord or Gold Superspeed.

The one that just sold for $100 is a Gold Rocket. The TTO screws into the barrel of the razor when you open the doors. 2 totally different razors.

Even rarer is unicorn tears. They are said to remove crud and old shave soap from razors. I've even heard tales of unicorn tears repairing brassing and plating wear. One drop can restore the original factory finish to any razor. A blade dabbed in unicorn tears will NEVER go dull. It also will never cut the user or get rusty, EVER.

Just sayin....

So unicorn tears are Chuck Norris tears? Oh wait...that's right...Chuck Norris doesn't cry.

Beautiful razor though. Nice pick-up.

When were these made? I guess you can tell by the "Made in USA" but it's missing single band above the TTO knob?

Hard to be sure on a non-standard one like this but looking at the head interior, the center bar is notched and the picture suggests that the head could be mounted like the pre-1950 Milords. If all this is correct and relevant I would think it was made in 1948-49. (Yes all the preceding verbiage is the equivalent of maybe…)

Like 'rare' or hard to catch.

Unicorn is an expression I use.

Just sayin....

Hilarious :laugh:

There is alot of good info in this thread. Thank you Highball for posting yours.

And...we have not heard yet from the lucky buyer.

Hilarious :laugh:

There is alot of good info in this thread. Thank you Highball for posting yours.

And...we have not heard yet from the lucky buyer.

OK I’ll fess up. I’m the lucky winner…….and thank you one and all for the congrats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom