What's new

Walkin' Horse Cordovan Strop

Hello Gents,

this is my new strop from www.thesuperiorshave.com - Walkin' Horse 2.18.25" Cordovan Strop. He has an excellent quality and look great. I recommend it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have many strops:

1) SRD 3'' premium IV English Bridle - my favorite
2) Red Latigo leather hanging strop 3'' with handle elm wood - my luxurios strop
3) Walkin' Horse Cordovan Strop 2.2'' - superb look
4) Neil Miller, 3'' basic hanging razor strop, classic english bridle - faster than SRD, ideal for travel, also
5) Illinois 361 - good quality for price and value
6) Kanayama linen, 66cm

proxy.php

Caviar or French Champagne, Sir? - Both...:001_rolle

Here is my pictures: strops, straight razors, razor hones and accesories..

https://picasaweb.google.com/sistem...tropsAccesories?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHUifCl6uzzfg#

Welcome to B&B! :thumbup:

How does the Walking Horse compare to the SRD and Kanayama? I'm thinking about adding the English Bridle strop and the Horween cordovan strop, when they're available again. Thanks.

Welcome to B&B! :thumbup:

How does the Walking Horse compare to the SRD and Kanayama? I'm thinking about adding the English Bridle strop and the Horween cordovan strop, when they're available again. Thanks.

Regarding Kanayama, I have only the linen, so I can't compare with my leather strops, but:

After two weeks from Walkin Horse purchase I can say that I like W. Horse more than SRD. SRD is too short and too fast. I tend to hit the end of with the blade . Walkin is excellent, as should be 27 inches long and slippery as butter. It is very traditional, without handles, gives an authentic feeling of a man like I be John Wayne. Walkin Horse is my favorite now.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That strop was advertised as a prototype from Walkin' Horse. It's a horsehide, but I don't recall the word cordovan appearing anywhere in the description. The WH cordovan strops have a completely different look (and price). I believe the strop pictured was sold for $85, as further evidence.

:blink:

Last edited:
hi

Yes, this strop in the above picture is from a from horsebutt hide which was further influenced, not cordovan-tanned shell (shell's a membrane below skin, not even technically a hide).

Seems nobody can get the Horween cordovan shells for now, so I doubt we'll have any new hides to sell for a good long while, and a hide only yields 4 strops.

There's a few dozen folks out there with the Horween cordovan slices, perhaps they can chime in of their thoughts.

All our horse-based strops now are from Horween, and they're extremely high quality leather. They'll wear like latigo but not come waxy like latigo. To each his own; there isn't a 'right' answer to these things if you ask me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
See? I knew I wasn't crazy (this time, at least).

I only mentioned it because I was looking to buy either that strop or one of the English bridle models. That is, until that fateful day when no less a personage than Tony Miller himself appeared at my door and whipped me unmercifully with a 3" red latigo until I agreed to buy it. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it, especially if SWMBO asks.

Last edited:
Seems nobody can get the Horween cordovan shells for now, so I doubt we'll have any new hides to sell for a good long while, and a hide only yields 4 strops.

I want the cordovan so I'll wait.

In the meantime, I might get the English Bridle replacement strop to serve as a high quality travel strop.

Top Bottom