What's new

Newbie progress!!!

Today I used my Merkur 34C for the 1st time with a merkur blade. I used my Parker silvertip for the first time. I also didn't buffer for the first time, and TRUSTED THE RAZOR to do its job. TECHNIQUE, TECHNIQUE, TECHNIQUE...and TRUST!!!

I HAVE TO SAY: NOW I see why people rave about silvertip brushes. What a difference!!!!! The lather is more superior, and the moisture of the lather is far superior, and one key thing I'd like to point out for newbies is this: Being a newbie myself, I have discovered that while using a good soap, the lather DOES dry a bit. You can tell when you relather and the lather appears thin. DIP the end of the brush in the water for a second, THEN reapply!!! Makes ALL the difference & your weepers will dramatically decrease!!! Dipping the brush really quick GREATLY improves the lather and eliminates razor drag. ALSO, 4 passes do the job SUPERBLY without buffering!!!!! NO rough patches!!!!! NO bleeding!!!! SO, 2 key things I learned that I will implement in my technique is dipping the brush in water before relathering AND knowing the blade will not to let me down. All YOU have to do is go SLOW, take your time and TRUST THE BLADE!!! RESIST the urge to feel your face checking for rough patches!!! I'm not a jedi yet, but I now feel the force flowing through me, LOL!!!! I can't stop feeling my face now, I'm in such amazement and disbelief! 2 Key elements added to blade angle and letting the weight of the razor do the work are keeping the lather moist & just trusting the blade. Stop checking to see if you're doing it right. You'll know when you're finished! It's TOUGH to resist, but I did it!!!

Last edited:
It's called WET SHAVING afterall!!! When you don't keep the lather moist & your face moist, it becomes DRY SHAVING!!!! DUUUHH!!! I could've saved a few pints of blood keeping that little tiny thing in mind!!! :001_smile

And the quick dip in hot water reapplied to the face keeps things nice and warm.

Now you know why guys are willing to put out $100+ for a good brush. Plus they last for a very long time.

Good to hear your enjoying your shave experience.

Top Bottom