What's new

a question about elder abuse/landlord-tenant law

yeah I need to, I suppose. I was just thinking that there are probably some LE types on here. Her aunt and uncle are still sort of in the "victim's mentality" mode and haven't done anything for fear of physical reprisal on his part. And they don't want me or their son or adult grandson to get hurt by this monster.

I know Judo/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and am in 20 times better shape than he is, and I could easily break this asshat's arm in about 15 seconds if he lays a hand on me, but he may bring guns to bear, he's that nuts. So they are just afraid of various people getting hurt, so that's why it has gone on this far.

I figure some of you are in law enforcement, law, or may have some knowledge about this sort of stuff.

My wife has a very small family. It consists of her beloved aunt and her aunt's husband (her uncle), and they have 2 sons -- the older son has 2 sons of his own. Their younger son (who is 38 years old) still lives at home with them. He's never had his own place. And they have to pay for everything for him -- health insurance, car insurance, food, utilities, etc.. He has a part-time job but never gives them any money. He saves his money, and every 4 or 5 years, he goes down and buys a brand new car with cash, like he's a hotshot or something.

And he's abusive towards them -- mostly mentally and emotionally. He screams at them and gets them upset, and they are in their 70's. They can't enjoy their retirement, and he's making their life hell. He has been physically abusive towards them in the past. He broke his dad's hand once. He's a very big guy -- obese, like 500 pounds.

Anyway, me, their other son, and his son's adult son are thinking of kicking this asshat out of their house. He wouldn't be destitute, not that I care about that. He has thousands of dollars saved up. He can rent an apt.. But her aunt and uncle are afraid that the law would be on his side, and that they'd have to give him 30 days eviction notice, and in that time, he would destroy their house.

I don't think they'd have to give a 30 day notice, would they? Because he hasn't signed a lease, doesn't pay rent, and he is abusive to them. The abusive part should mean that the "lease" would automatically be broken, right? This is in Ohio. And also, could we get a deputy to be there while we put him out? Is that a normal procedure? Any advice is appreciated.

You need to tread very very carefully and seek proper legal council.

At 500lbs he's not much of a threat for anyone who can walk 10 or 20 steps. I'm sure if worst comes to worst you and your family can be "persuasive" within the confines of the law.

Keep us up to date. But most importantly keep calm. :thumbup1:

they definitely want him out, but are afraid of him getting violent and hurting them. He's threatened to kill them if they ever boot him out.

This needs to be reported to the police immediately. He needs to be arrested. AND a restraining order needs to be filed.

He may kill them. He may not. That is up to you and your family to guard against.

It would be most unwise to take this lightly.

Seek competent legal and social services.

All the best.

Estebe

Last edited:
Make sure you are on the same page with the parents wishes, then consult an lawyer familiar with elder abuse and real estate law in your state. If threats have been made, contact law enforcement right away.

Contact an attorney. I am more than willing to recommend a few if you would like. PM me with your area of the state if you are interested.

As a side-note, I am only a law student and unable to give legal advice as a result.

Top Bottom