What's new

Hello From North Carolina!

Hey Guys,

I just found the site and it seems like my kind of place! I hope to become a contributor soon! I haven't started using a DE razor and badger brush yet but it's coming! I'm really looking forward to spending some time here!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.

While you are waiting for your goodies to arrive you should do some serious reading of the materials on this site. For a good starting off point look at the information at this post. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to all of your shaving needs. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget; if you have any questions just ask. :smile:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hello Moonshine Leatherworks
proxy.php
from Wilkesboro, North (Cackalacky), Carolina.

Welcome to the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). Please feel free to come up to the lounge deck 'sit-a-spell'.

It sounds like you're off to a great start and yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

As for razors, how about a Merkur 38C (2 piece, heavy [4oz], long handle [3 ½ in], or Merkur 23C (3 piece, light [2oz], long handle [4in])? Both of which are moderately priced, considered to be fairly mild, straight bar / closed combed razors, for light, normal and medium beards and/or for persons with sensitive skin (like you and me). :thumbup:

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

I bought both of mine (38C - $47US w/ free shipping worldwide, 23C -$31US w/ free shipping worldwide), from The Superior Shave.

The Superior Shave Homepage.

http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Merkur_Razors.html

38C Reveiw and Posted Comments.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=M&t=19468

23C Reveiw and Posted Comments.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=M&t=6044

B & B Shave Wiki for Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Aggressiveness.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Also, it is very wise and 'sage' advice to get a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Feathers, Kai's, Treets, Trig, Shark Super Chrome, Derby and Gillette 7 O'clock just to name a few with my Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

When you receive your Sampler, my advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Additonally, when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Furthermore, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Below is the B & B Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :laugh:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Please don't forget once you get time....please tell all of us about your shaving tools / kit (when you get them), a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php

Attached Images - Merkur 23C (a.k.a. "Classic", on the left), and the Merkur 38C (a.k.a. "Barber Pole", on the right).

Hello from SOUTH Carolina!!! I'd say begin with a Merkur 34C. Let the short handle FORCE you to learn and use the proper technique & trusting the blade to do the work. You will want to feel your face as you shave. DONT DO THAT. It's beard reduction one pass at a time. You'll know when you're DONE! ALso, I recommend a parker 100% silvertip brush. I would also recommend Taylor of Old Bond street soap. Thick lather!!! Nice scent!!! As far as blades, DEFINITELY get a sample pack! Pick & choose! The merkur razor COMES with a blade & let me tell you, compared to the CVS jobs I've been using while waiting for the blades to arrive, I'm in LOVE! I've shaved 4 times w. a DE razor, this is my first week, and I've already MOSTLY gotten all the bugs worked out! 4 shaves 2 bleeding sessions, but I figured out WHY i cut myself! Dipping the brush in water quickly before relathering helps. IT IS WET SHAVING afterall. WHen you let the lather dry, it becomes DRY SHAVING!!! No good! LOL! I was intimidated, but now that I have gotten the feel for it & have ALL of the above items, it's quality equipment producing quality results! $50 for the brush, $35 for the razor, $12 for the soap, $18 for the sample pack of 100 blades. Keep in mind, if you shave every day and replace your mach 3 cartridge once a week, you'll spend about $120 per year on replacing your cartridges alone! THESE blades run between $4 to $6 for a pack of 10 or 5 depending on quality and brand. SO, SOAP is about $12 every 2-3 months. You'll spend twice that on canned glop. Blades are about $20 a year. SO, once you have your stuff, About $60 a year goes into your daily shave vs. $150+? You're getting a MUCH better shave as well! Your face AND wallet reap BOO-KOO benefits!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom