What's new

A Tale of Two Simpson Brushes

Recently, a good friend's wife bought him for a birthday gift a Simpson Duke 3 brush. I liked the looks of the brush so much I bought one from WCS, also. We both got the brushes in late January. His brush shed a little - as can be expected but the shedding only lasted a few days.

My brush on the other hand is losing more hair than I am losing on my head. The strange thing about this is that when the brush is dry it is fine. But as soon as I start to put it to soap it begins to loose hairs. A rep from WCS suggested I shampoo the brush vigorously and run a comb through it - which I have done twice. However, now the brush is over two months old and the problem continues. Again, the only time it loses hair is when I attempt to load the brush with soap.

Here is what it looks like? Anyone have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to fix it?View attachment 149031

View attachment 149032

Recently, a good friend's wife bought him for a birthday gift a Simpson Duke 3 brush. I liked the looks of the brush so much I bought one from WCS, also. We both got the brushes in late January. His brush shed a little - as can be expected but the shedding only lasted a few days.

My brush on the other hand is losing more hair than I am losing on my head. The strange thing about this is that when the brush is dry it is fine. But as soon as I start to put it to soap it begins to loose hairs. A rep from WCS suggested I shampoo the brush vigorously and run a comb through it - which I have done twice. However, now the brush is over two months old and the problem continues. Again, the only time it loses hair is when I attempt to load the brush with soap.

Here is what it looks like? Anyone have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to fix it?View attachment 149031

View attachment 149032

Looks like a duff knot

I would let both the vendor and Mark at Vulfix know about the problem. Shouldn't be doing that. Something is wrong with the knot not being properly glued I think.

Sure looks & sounds like a dud.
I'd try to get it replaced.
A high-end brush shouldn't shed like that.

Curious: Does yours shed that much? None of my other brushes have ever shed as many bristles.

Mine shed for about a month. I have another brush that shed if I had to guess 100+ hairs but after a few months they are all fine. Some others only shed ~5 hairs and that was it. The boar I picked up is still shedding some once and a while. With the 15,000 hairs or so in a brush I was never to worried

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I recently bought a Duke 3 in Best and and an Emperor 3 in Two-Band Super. The Duke has only lost maybe 6 hairs in many uses but the Emperor lost over 40 hairs in its first test lather and anywhere from 3 to over 6 hairs with every use. I returned it to Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) Ltd and they are replacing it. I agree that you should see about having it replaced.

This is almost like a horror movie to me. A beautiful Simpson brush... so tragic. :( Good luck with it not shedding or with a replacement.

I had the same thing happen to me with a Tulip T1. Shed like crazy when lathering anything. I sent it back and got a replacement.

Yep, you've got a shedder. I've had to return 2 of my Simpsons brushes for the same reason. (A PJ2 and a CH2.)

Vulfix was very good about it. Replaced them both free of charge, no questions asked.
Mike

My Duke 3 brush was lost some hair at the beginning (2-3 more hair at a shave).. after 3-4 more months stop shedding wet & dry..
exactly you have to try replacement when you have a time...

Agreed. She's a shedder. Bad too.
My Rooney settled down after a few months, but that's pretty nasty.

I wouldn't keep it.

mine wasn't that bad, but very similar. When dry, couldn't comb a hair out, but when lathering, I'd have shaves where 15+ hairs would be lost. Took a while on mine, but it looks like Simpsons has agreed that it's defective and a replacement is on it's way. Be prepared for a wait though, WCS had to send mine back to Simpsons for inspection.

Frustrating, but Simpson customer service should take care of you. They took good care of my problem with a "shedder". :thumbup1: Stuff happens.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would say this is a classic case of a shedding brush!! It is normal as the little card says that brush may loose some hair. The bigger the brush and the denser the hair is packed, the more one can expect the brush is loosing some hairs in the initial uses. Most brushes that loose hairs in the first uses normally settled by the tenth use or so. To loose a hair from time to time is quite normal. Remember one gram of Badger hair has approx 1000 single hairs. A 22/23 mm knot weighs about 20 grams - so there is a lot of hair!
I had only one shedder that was replaced by the vendor and the replacement, same model and size, never has lost a hair since I have it. I would contact the seller and return it. The shampooing and combing will help to remove loose hairs that is not glued in.

Jim, You've given it plenty of chances to settle in and gone above and beyond to shampoo and comb out the loose hairs. John or Mark should take care of that with no qualms.

I had a small card that came with one of my Simpson's that said it was normal to shed for up to 6 months.

1 or 2 hairs per shave is fair enough. 25 per shave tells me the one in this thread is a dud.

I wouldn't wait 6 months to see it it stops. Even if one of mine shed 2-3 hairs every shave for a couple of months I'd be wanting a replacement. Sure, the brush can afford it, but it's annoying and for my money I want something that works properly.

Top Bottom