What's new

American Pickers

"American Pickers" is the name of that History Channel television program about these "junk" dealers who travel around the country looking for stuff to buy and re-sell in their shop in LeClaire, Iowa.

Some of the stuff they buy looks completely beyond hope as a restore or anything else.

Have any B&Bers ever visited their shop? What's it like?

The fact that some of the stuff is rusted, paint peeling, beat to hell, etc. is part of the appeal of it. Some people like distressed stuff. It's considered folk art, rustic, has character, etc.. I'd rather have mint stuff, myself. There are actually people who take a mint item and distress it. That's nuts, to me. And also people who restore cars but add blemishes to the paint, that's weird to me too.

Most of the people they run into are pickers or collectors themselves, so they know what their stuff is worth and often expect them to pay retail. Some of them are kind of whacked. Like, Mike will pull some rusty sign out of a dirt hill and offer them a fair price, sometimes in the thousands of dollars if it's rare, and they will turn him down. "I was kind of holding onto that." really? It was half buried in a pile of dirt. They could use that money to fix up their junky houses.

My wife and I are planning to stop at the shop this April when we are traveling down I-80. I will report back with what I find.

Can you imagine how many vintage razors they have seen and probably just tossed them aside in their search for the treasures they seek?

This is definitely one of my favorites. I kept up with it until I cancelled cable. Now I just have to wait for season two on Netflix!

Love the show. A few years ago my wife and I traveled Iowa for our anniversary and stopped in LeClaire we had no idea about these guys at the time but have now been wanting to go back. It's a really nice little town.

On another note these guys picked for William Shatner, pretty darn cool.

I lived just a few miles outside of LeClaire for awhile, Never got to their shop. I will say LeClaire is just a great little town if you ever get to the area its worth a drive through.

I have it on good authority that they actually pay more money for the stuff than what they say they do on the show. That being said.... I sure would want to go to the store.

My in-laws go to auctions all the time. That being said, one of their "auction buddies" was on the show (the guy with the emu). They said the guys were nice and bought more stuff than they showed and spent around 1000 a piece, I think.

I like the pin up look of Danielle the assistant.

My wife and I argue about her when we watch the show. I shake my head when I see such a beautiful young lady with all of that low-class ink. I contend she'd be absolutely beautiful if it wasn't for all of the ink. My wife thinks the ink adds something to her appeal.

Not in my book. The only ink I've ever seen on a woman that looked appealing would be a tramp stamp (on the right female).

Beerman

My wife and I argue about her when we watch the show. I shake my head when I see such a beautiful young lady with all of that low-class ink. I contend she'd be absolutely beautiful if it wasn't for all of the ink. My wife thinks the ink adds something to her appeal.

Not in my book. The only ink I've ever seen on a woman that looked appealing would be a tramp stamp (on the right female).

Beerman

I can see your point but I have tattoos and love them. However, tramp stamps are so overdone now. Especially tribal. I could do without the tattoos on her hands but I agree with your wife's opinion. To each his own.

Beerman

I love inked women.

American Pickers is a good show, I watch it pretty often.

Top Bottom