What's new

Feather Ss Compared to EJ89L

How would you guys compare the Feather SS De Razor to the Edwin Jager 89L See i Paid 31.99 for my EJ89L and i think its a Awesome Slick Pieace of art work as well as a Great DE shaver, My Question is, is does the Feather SS Shave 6-10 better then the EJ89L Now the reason i ask that ? is because the Feather SS is priced as much as 6-10 Higher then the EJ89L This is why i find the Feather SS so Expensive, i can understand the price of a Vintage Model out of Production 60-100 years old to be that expensive because of its Rareness, but not a Simple 3 piece made today Safety Razor. So does it Shave 6-10 Better then the EJ89L ?

Oh and don't Chew me out Guys LOL, Just want to know why i should pay 6-10 times more...

Watch this video review by The Pastor, it should answer your questions:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96pqSpKKl0E[/YOUTUBE]
Original review thread here.

I own both and either one will give you a great shave.

Last edited:
I was not impressed when I got a chance to try the Feather Ss. My brother owned both, and he would say hands down that the EJ89L is better in every way, EXCEPT for the fact that the Feather could probably last 200 years, just because of its incredible construction. I have yet to try the EJ89L, but I look forward to it.

Watch this video review by The Pastor, it should answer your questions:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96pqSpKKl0E[/YOUTUBE]
Original review thread here.

I own both and either one will give you a great shave.

Thanks for the Video xillion, just as i suspected, it wont give me a better Shave, its just a better made Razor and since its Stainless Steel, it will last a few life times, its like getting a Bulova watch and a Rolex, they both do the same tell time, its just one does it more precisely because it components are better Made, i wont get one as of yet, still want to get the hang of this DE Shaving First :eek:)

Just out of curiosity, whos to say the EJ89 is not going to last for several generations? Just wondering, its not made out of silly puddy itself you know. :001_rolle

Just out of curiosity, whos to say the EJ89 is not going to last for several generations? Just wondering, its not made out of silly puddy itself you know. :001_rolle

Yeah i think your Right, i Believe the EJ89L will last a lifetime also, and even if i have to Re chrome it, it will still be Cheaper then the feather LOL, i just think these guys are getting a little over board with prices, everyone is looking to RIP off the consumer, but then again, i have no idea what stainless steel cost, and also the name feather stands behind it, :001_smile That's whats driving the price up.

I have the Feather as well as the Muhle equivalent to the EJ. I alternate between these two razors every month.

Both are outstanding shavers. Both shave me brilliantly with my favourite Feather blades.

However each is very different from the other.

The Feather feels solid and is a heavier razor. The fit and finish are perfect. I enjoy owning and using a very well executed razor in a material I will never have to worry about. I get plenty of auditory feedback, but there is no tactile feedback.

The Muhle is lighter with a hollow handle. The razor is weighted toward the head.
It feels light and agile. The hollow handle actually allows me to feel the vibrations of the blade shearing the whiskers. Fit and finish is of the same quality as the Feather.

If I had to choose one, and money was a factor, I would choose the Muhle, or the EJ equivalent.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh and don't Chew me out Guys LOL, Just want to know why i should pay 6-10 times more...

I own a EJ89L and love it. That being said, if I had plenty of disposable income I would buy a Feather- it is a thing of beauty. I know it won't shave 6 times better, but it is a looker.

It's the same reason someone would buy, say, a Bentley. The price difference is not closely related to differences in utility, but other characteristics -- aesthetics, prestige, etc.

It's even harder to objectively compare razors because the shaving experience is so subjective. One man's high performer can be another man's lousy shaver.

It's the same reason someone would buy, say, a Bentley. The price difference is not closely related to differences in utility, but other characteristics -- aesthetics, prestige, etc.

It's even harder to objectively compare razors because the shaving experience is so subjective. One man's high performer can be another man's lousy shaver.

+1. Your argument of "Is it really 6-10 x better?" could be applied to anything we do. Is a Plisson 20x better than a shea moisture brush? A tub of T&H 30x better than a can of barbasol?

If someone enjoys using a more mild razor and likes the shave it gives than this would be an exceptional choice.

... i just think these guys are getting a little over board with prices, everyone is looking to RIP off the consumer, but then again, i have no idea what stainless steel cost, and also the name feather stands behind it, :001_smile That's whats driving the price up.

I think what you're missing with this statement is the fact that every transaction requires two things: a seller willing to give up something at a stated price, and a buyer willing to purchase said item at said price. You can't have a sale with out both. To say that they are 'rip[ping] off the consumer' isn't a valid statement. No one forced people to buy the razor. People bought it because they valued the razor more than they valued their $180. If they didn't, they wouldn't have engaged in the transaction.

There is more to life then just dollars and cents. Sometimes, it's good to take a step back and just enjoy yourself :thumbup:

And not to criticize but is OP's "." broken :confused1

Last edited:

I'm a new DE shaver, and really like my EJ DE 89L. The craftsmanship on it is obviously superbly done.

I was curious though if anyone knows what the underlying metal is on the DE89? I know that some makers use pot metal, but with Edwin Jagger's high quality, I would hope that it is brass.

If it is all brass rather than pot metal, then it probably would last for generations. The great grand son might have to replate it a hundred years from now, but otherwise happily be able to use the family heirloom.

i just think these guys are getting a little over board with prices, everyone is looking to RIP off the consumer, but then again, i have no idea what stainless steel cost, and also the name feather stands behind it, :001_smile That's whats driving the price up.

You are absolutely correct!

Business is no longer about "cost + % profit margin = sale price". It is now "cost + WHATEVER the customer is willing to pay = sale price!!!"

You are absolutely correct!

Business is no longer about "cost + % profit margin = sale price". It is now "cost + WHATEVER the customer is willing to pay = sale price!!!"

Conversely, the Edwin Jagger razors do seem to be excellent quality for the price. Considering the quality in the make of it, and the fact that it is built in the UK (and Germany) rather than being "offshored" to China or India; I think the value to the customer is exceptional.

If you run a large corporation (think of a massive world-wide companies), your main focus is on profits.

No company says in their meetings, "Ok guys. This product costs us $X to produce and we want to have a profit margin of Y% so the price of the product will be $Z."

They say, "This product costs us $X to produce. Testing has shown that our consumers are willing to pay $Z for it. I KNOW RIGHT?!?! THAT'S INSANE!!! THAT GIVES US A PROFIT MARGIN OF Y%!!! OUR CHRISTMAS BONUS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!!!!"

Brookstone is a great example. Those body pillows with the little foam/plastic beads in them cost the company ~$3 to produce/package/ship and they retail for $100. I really don't think some guy in a meeting decided they wanted to have a 3000% markup.

When it comes down to it, the price for an item is up to the market. If you think it's over priced, don't buy it. They will either lower the price or stop making the item. There is a reason Apple can charge what they do for their computers. I heard a comedian say one time, "There's no such thing as a recession in an Apple store." People complain all the time that they gouge their customers but it doesn't seem bad enough to make them stop buying.

Companies will charge what people are willing to pay. Like I said before, its main goal is to maximize profits for its owner. Whether thats shareholders or one guy on a big *** yacht, they all have the same goal.

Last edited:
LOL Yes your Right, Damn Fat guys on Yacht i Envy them, But im sure and apple product cost a lot more to make then the feather, and the Technology in those apple machines are amazing, i don't like apple myself, but think now much the ipad,itouch,iPhone can do when your on the go, its Amazing, lots of software involved and researching. but its like you said, if you don't like it, you don't buy it, They will either stop making it or lower the price, i would think they would lower the price before they stop making it, im sure its costing them like 10 bucks or less to make, if there a Smart Company, so they are still making a killing. When the price goes down ill get one, or if someone is selling one for a decent price ill get it, otherwise ill wait, i have plenty of shavers to shave with :eek:)

Top Bottom