What's new

Feather Stainless Steel Over Priced or Not ?

Feather All Stainless DE Safety Razor , is it over priced or not, I mean come on, How much work does it take to make this razor after the first one is made, they mass produce Thousand's , Its not like its a TTO With Adjustment 1-9 like a FatBoy is, Now if they come out an all Stainless Steel Feather with TTO and Adjustment 1-9 like the Fatboy is, then and then only do i think its worth the money, with all this Technology today, why aren't there more Butterfly's Made with Adjustment's on them? Geesh, Maybe i should start a Machine Shop and Make one myself. A Nice TTO 1-9 All Stainless Steel Satin Finish DE Razor, Would you guys jump on it ?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Personally, I prefer three piece razors. They are easier to clean thoroughly. There is less to wear out on them. As for the Feather All Stainless Razor, it is beautifully crafted and built to last several lifetimes. It is one of my favorite razors. Is it over priced? You'll have to decide that for yourself. :001_smile

Last edited:
When you hold one yourself you will immediately know it is a special piece regardless of which brand you compare it too. I being somewhat a mininimalist myself see your point. Then again to the rest of the world it's only shave cream, why spend so much on that when then use 99cent canned goo.

I sold off a large amount of my collection to fund the purchase of a Feather All Stainless. There is no doubt in my mind that it was worth it. Once you hold it in your hand, you will know what quality feels like. Being a 3 piece razor, it is built like a tank, and as said above will last several lifetimes.

I am honestly not that thrilled with TTO razors. I think of them as an solution to a problem that never really existed.

Adjustment is nice, but basically unnecessary. My Gillette Super Adjustable has been set @ 3 since the day I purchased it.

Feather All Stainless DE Safety Razor , is it over priced or not
Depends on who you ask. Worth (and, therefore expensive/inexpensive/etc) are all highly subjective words. I don't think so. Name some comparable products...

Have you actually used one or are you making assumptions based on photos and reviews you've read?

I mean come on, How much work does it take to make this razor after the first one is made
Those are always famous last words of those who aren't familiar with what they're asking about in my experience. Everything seems simple and easy when you're blissfully unaware of the details involved.

Maybe i should start a Machine Shop and Make one myself. A Nice TTO 1-9 All Stainless Steel Satin Finish DE Razor, Would you guys jump on it ?
Do it. You'll quickly find out how expensive it is. The cost of a product is never just the cost of materials. Or even just materials and man hours.

I sold off a large amount of my collection to fund the purchase of a Feather All Stainless. There is no doubt in my mind that it was worth it. Once you hold it in your hand, you will know what quality feels like. Being a 3 piece razor, it is built like a tank, and as said above will last several lifetimes.

I am honestly not that thrilled with TTO razors. I think of them as an solution to a problem that never really existed.

Adjustment is nice, but basically unnecessary. My Gillette Super Adjustable has been set @ 3 since the day I purchased it.

I agree with all of this. TTOs and adjustables don't do anything for me, personally. I like three piece razors, and the Feather All Stainless is about as good as a three piece razor gets.

Depends on who you ask. Worth (and, therefore expensive/inexpensive/etc) are all highly subjective words. I don't think so. Name some comparable products...

Have you actually used one or are you making assumptions based on photos and reviews you've read?

Those are always famous last words of those who aren't familiar with what they're asking about in my experience. Everything seems simple and easy when you're blissfully unaware of the details involved.

Do it. You'll quickly find out how expensive it is. The cost of a product is never just the cost of materials. Or even just materials and man hours.

Well at the moment, from looking at the pics and assumptions, doesn't seem like a very complicated Piece if you ask me. i don't mind spending the $ but i see it as a simple 3 piece, but i guess ill have to try it myself to believe it, i just don't see much to this razor, but Ive never shaved with it, never held one, so that's why i said what i said and i asked what i asked, as i like to hear what others have to say.. Thanks for all your inputs guys :thumbup1:

I echo the above comments. I have spent a lot of money on my collection of razors. They are a lot of fun, but if I could have but one it would be the Feather SS. In that sense it is a bargain. I paid less for it than all the others combined.

Buyers give product a value. That is the basic paradigm.
Personally, I prefer three piece razors.
Feather All Stainless Steel Razor is exceptional product. Simple, minimalistic, precise, heavy and possibly durable for three male generations. :thumbup:

Well at the moment, from looking at the pics and assumptions, doesn't seem like a very complicated Piece if you ask me. i don't mind spending the $ but i see it as a simple 3 piece, but i guess ill have to try it myself to believe it, i just don't see much to this razor, but Ive never shaved with it, never held one, so that's why i said what i said and i asked what i asked, as i like to hear what others have to say.. Thanks for all your inputs guys :thumbup1:

I borrowed one and gave it a two-week trial. I personally was not impressed with the performance - seemed too mild to me. The razor is beautifully made and finished, nicer than my Pils in that regard. So, is it worth the premium? If you end up liking the way it shaves, then maybe so. Personally, I'm glad I tried one before committing. I also wished I had given a similar trial to the Pils, which I find pales in performance comparison to several other much cheaper razors I have. Bottom line is that just because it is beautiful, well made, expensive and a "premium" product, doesn't mean you're necessarily going to love the way it performs.

I have tried out the SS and I personally think that it is overpriced. I cant see spending $150 on a razor that will only lose value. The shave is good but not $150 good. I really think that my $25 Merkur gives a nice enough shave and also the vintage razors are way better IMHO

Buyers give product a value. That is the basic paradigm.
Personally, I prefer three piece razors.
Feather All Stainless Steel Razor is exceptional product. Simple, minimalistic, precise, heavy and possibly durable for three male generations. :thumbup:

Is that Me, Myself and I :lol:

I've never even touched a Feather AS, but occasionally I do business with Japanese vendors.
Mediocre or worse products are *very* rare, exceptional quality seems the norm, up to the packaging. Amazing really. Socks, tools, daggers, it doesn't seem to matter.
Looks like minute attention to detail is a normal thing over there.

I'm not sure if I'm just lucky. YMMV.

I just assume that you're paying for the manufacturing process when you buy a Feather. I figure that the milling process is pretty complicated, even if it's just a classic three piece. They're milling pretty fine pieces that seem to consistently fit together within microns out of solid stainless steel. I bet they end up tossing a bunch of razors due to quality control. I don't think they're selling a ton of them either to spread out the cost. They're still cheaper than the Pils and seem to have less complaints.

Top Bottom