What's new

Acquisitions for March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me this month, I just ordered a tub of T&H 1805 Cream, and the 1805 Aftershave splash! Got a sampler pack from T&H a couple weeks ago and loved the 1805 scent!

Man, I just spent over $100 on a tub of cream and aftershave! ADs are hitting me hard! :lol:

300 ASCO red and blue packaging and bonus ARKO stick from Bestshave.net and a pile of goodies from Jopo in the BST. In both cases a great deal and great service. :001_smile

I ordered a tub of Cella and modular paddle strop from SRD, should be to me late next week. Also, I got a Wade and Butcher, Spike, and Queen razor from Larry at Whipped Dog, a Red Imp 132 from a member on here (amazing looking razor I can't wait to try out) and a Boker from a member over at SRD.

Now if I could only get good at shaving with these things.

Another acquisition! Tuya shaving bowl with Joris shaving soap. Not cheap at 59 Euros, but that bowl looks amazing! Here's hoping the soap is equally good.

K1 Travel Tech in near perfect condition from eBay in a plastic folding case. Its handle has more heft than the aluminum handle of the S1 I bought last summer. The Gillette stainless steel blades were gone except for one in the head. I'll use the razor in Albuquerque and Europe shortly!

Walking around the antique mall with SWMBO this morning and scored a 1953 SS and Eveready 52C for $10 total. The SS looks new with no tarnish, brassing of any kind. Love the art deco look of the brush and would like to restore it.
..oh and the Wife got a $100 stained glass lamp so don't feel bad for her. :001_rolle

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Trumper's Sampler arrived. Creams: Violet, Sandalwood, Limes, Rose, GFT and Coconut Oil. EDTs: Ajaccio Violets, Trumper's Cologne, Wild Fern, Skye, West Indian Limes, GFT and Eau de Quinine. Coral and Sandalwood Skin Foods.

proxy.php

Erasmic Stick, Ingram Mentholated, Boots' Cool Cologne, RSC cream, Erasmic Lather cream and some stuff in a plastic tube that may or may not lather with a brush. It was only a pound anyways.

proxy.php

Boots' Freshwood a/s, Gilette Power Rush a/s, Erasmic pre-shave oil, RSC Soothing Balm, Thayer's alcohol-free Rose Petal, Boots' Damascus Rose Toner (smells amazing, BTW) and Tabac a/s.

proxy.php

Frags and facewash time! Boots' Cleansing Mousse for Oily Skin, RSC Face Scrub, 5ml bottles of Burberry Touch, Brit, London and Weekend. Snagged a Dior gift/sample set. I already have Fahrenheit, so it's omitted. Pictured is Dior Pour Homme Sport or something like that and Eau Savage. Burberry for Men, Polo Double Black and OS EDT rounding out the group.

This is about two weeks worth of stuff. I just don't care to onesy-twosy things in here. Apologies for pictures being taken on the bath mat, but it was the only place I wasn't getting a wicked glare from the camera.:thumbup:

Tubs of T&H Ultimate Comfort and TOBS Mr. Taylors arrived today. I also wanted the T&H 1805 shave cream+AS balm, but have resisted for this month.

Not shaving related, but I'm pretty stoked about this. (sorry, going to be a long read too)

I bought a Philips 42" lcd tv from wal-mart last May. The picture went out sometime in the Autumn. I hadn't purchased that extended warranty from WM, so I had to deal directly with Philips to get that 1 year manufacturer's warranty honored. I contacted them and they wanted me to fax in a receipt. I couldn't find it so I had to track down the bank transaction and take that to WM to get a duplicate receipt. I faxed that in and a few days later, they call back to say that they couldn't read it.
I made a scan of it and adjusted the contrast, faxed it in again, and a few days later got a call that said they wouldn't honor it as it was. The rep recognized it as a WM duplicate receipt, but because it didn't have the store logo on it, corporate denied it.
I took the receipt back to WM and had them stamp it. Faxed it in again and finally got the call saying that a TV was on it's way.
When it arrived, I opened the box and saw that the cardboard spacers that hold the TV in place were damaged. The outer wall of the box had a ding in it, and sure enough, the TV's bezel was cracked. I didn't even unpackage it. I called Philips back and told them it arrived broken. After a few calls to Philips and UPS, both of them wanting to pass me off to the other, UPS comes to take the damaged TV back. I hear nothing for a long time. More calls, nobody knows what's going on with the return.
It arrived in February (I had first started this process in October!), and when I opened the box I recognized the cardboard. They had sent me the same cracked TV back again, the cracked bezel (part of which had been sticking out when I got it the first time) had been pushed back into place as if nothing was wrong with that. Fine. I'll just use it and see how it works. It works fine for half an hour or so. Then the screen goes glitchy. Tapping on it sometimes helps. Turning it off for a while sometimes helps. But man, this is frustrating, and I don't even feel like it's worth it to return. The time I invested in it the first time, if assigned an hourly wage, would have purchased a new TV.

So,

I won a sharp projector from a local College, but it only has one s video input, and the rest are computer inputs. So today I bought a switch for it.

It's sitting on a coffee table now, and already projects an 80 inch screen on the wall. Once I get it in place (further away from the wall), this is going to rock. Grand total $71.99

Pick up a sweet Otto Deutsch Hans straight and this old barber shop towel rack at the local trades day this weekend.
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up this Old Spice mug and Avon bottle at an estate sale on Friday. They only cost me $6, and an old Ever Ready brush was included, as well. I haven't decided yet if the brush is a viable reknot candidate or not, since the handle has one decent size crack and a few smaller ones, but I wasn't interested in the brush nearly as much as the mug!:thumbup1:The mug had some nasty remnants of an unknown soap left in it. I replaced it with my current puck of Williams after I cleaned the mug up. From what I've found online thus far, the OS mug was manufactured sometime from 1964-1978, so it may or may not be older than I am.

It started out by looking up vintage Avon AS in the antique stores, during which process I glanced at some other shaving related items. Didn't see many DE's, until one day I found a nice Gold Tech for $3 (I've since found 2 other Techs, a USA nickel-finish and an Argentine aluminium handle, for similar princely sums). Then an old type nickel for $6.

This weekend, I attended a monthly antique show/auction in the nearby Town of Flowery Branch, and also visited an Antique/Estate shop in Oakwood. Procured a cased SS W1 (1951) w/Blue blades for $3 that cleaned up nicely, and another uncased SS Y2 (1953) that was already pristine. Also found a Blue-tip D1 (1958) and a Flare-tip F1 (1960). But here's the best-est turn-ups:

• Cased NEW Bostonian set - The box is in rags, and will be kept strictly for sake of provenance. The razor and blade case are things of beauty and I'm looking into replating them myself. Bought for $16.
  • Sheraton - Uncased. The finish is pitiful, and the TTO sticks a little at the halfway point (but works well otherwise). I'm going to treat it with mineral oil and try replating. Bought for $8.
  • Fat Boy E2 (1959) - Uncased, mechanically perfect, looks barely used. I've been hoping to acquire an adjustable and now I have it. Bought for one dollar.
  • Schick Krona Black Tip - Uncased, physically and mechanically perfect. I've heard good things about this razor. Bought for one dollar.
I'm having a stay-at-home vacation next week, so I'll probably be picking north Georgia totally clean. Be warned, all those in my geography!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom