What's new

Are Old Spice shaving mugs microwave safe?

just asking because i want to melt 2 pucks of VDH soap into my Old Spice mug, has anyone had any experience putting Old Spice mugs in the microwave?

Milk glass is pretty stout stuff, but you don't have to melt the pucks IN the mug. You can melt them in another container and pour them into the mug while they're still molten (for lack of a better word).

Milk glass is pretty stout stuff, but you don't have to melt the pucks IN the mug. You can melt them in another container and pour them into the mug while they're still molten (for lack of a better word).

I know i don't HAVE to, but it would make it easier to just stick the mug into the microwave instead of dirtying another bowl.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I have my dad's Old Spice mug (probably 25+ years old) and melt Conk in it all the time. Set the power to its lowest setting, nuke for about 10 seconds, repeat a couple of times if necessary.

I don't think they were designed with microwaves in mind, but a quick Google search points to an older B&B thread where several users reported no problem, and a thread on another forum where a guy cracked his trying to nuke some Williams and olive oil. :confused1

I'd say proceed at your own risk, but it should be fine, with the caveat that I'd not want to let it go for more than a minute...probably half that would do a glycerin puck anyway.

If it was me, and I was worried, I'd melt in Pyrex and pour to the mug, just for the mad scientist vibe.

Just get a cheap Achor Hocking Pyrex measuring cup and pour in back into the Ole Spice Mug!

I did this, and what i was afraid was going to happen, did happen.
I spilled some of the soap onto a rug in the kitchen.
Not while pouring it, which i did over the sink
But when i was cleaning the small pyrex bowl out.

I'm in the heat it in a saucepan camp. The cooking side of me always wants to have the control over melting. Plus I can pour it into empty shave stick containers.

I cut the puck into small chunks with a chef's knife (very easy) and add to a saucepan, melt over low-medium heat. If your using a cheap, thin pan and wondering if it's melting too quickly, simply lift the pan off of the heat for a few seconds.

it cleans up very easily (remember it's soap)

I did this, and what i was afraid was going to happen, did happen.
I spilled some of the soap onto a rug in the kitchen.
Not while pouring it, which i did over the sink
But when i was cleaning the small pyrex bowl out.

How do you clean soap out of a rug? Lots of rinsing? :laugh:

Oh man, just thinking of a beautiful Old Spice mug that's survived all these years being nuked makes me sad...

I have 4 old spice mugs, and the only one i use is one that has a chip off the bottom edge.
The other ones are in my closet in case this one gets shattered, which probably will never happen.

I have several OS mugs and use most of them, either for soaps or for holding razors. Never thought about nuking one, though.

Top Bottom