What's new

Witch Hazel Question

Is there any functional difference between generic witch hazel (astringent) and dedicated witch hazel after shave splashes? Only witch hazel locally available is 84% hazel and 16% alcohol and runs from $2.50 (generic) to $4.00 (name brand) and comes in 16oz bottles. Bought the cheap stuff and used it after my shave yesterday (57 SS with Treet Classic, MB barbershop, AoS genuine badger) with a moisturizer. So far, least amount of ingrowns/burn I've had yet(usually follow with AoS AS balm). I'm only 2 months into DE's and don't know if my technique's finally improving or if it's the witch hazel. Stuff doesn't burn or leave a residue. Thought's?

Any witch hazel will do what witch hazel does.

I prefer thayer's because it smells good. I like the lemon scented one

I'm not sure what dedicated witch hazel aftershaves you are refering to; I know some aftershaves contain witch hazel, but I don't know of any witch hazel that is marketed exclusively as an aftershave.

Most witch hazel preparations contain a small amouth of alcohol as a preservative. The alcohol free witch hazels from Thayer's use a different preservative (typically a vitamin E acetate). Regardless of the preservative used, the product is mostly water. All provide the same witch hazel effect.

thayers does market a "medicated" witch hazel version, specifically labelled as an "aftershave." only such item i have seen.
not widely available.
jr/john

I started out using Dickinson witch hazel and couldn't help but buying some generic witch hazel, when I saw how cheap it was at my pharmacy. From my experience, Dickinson was of better quality, felt much smoother and did just a bit better job on the face. The difference in quality was not very great, but still it was noticeable. Luckily I was able to find some Dickinson witch hazel for a couple of dollars at my pharmacy and bought that. If you use an aftershave after the witch hazel, I would advise you just to get the cheap generic version, until you can find a brand name on sale. However, if it is the only AS you use, i'd advise you to spend a couple more dollars for a better quality product.

I use T.N. Dickinson's, usually the yellow label (toner version). The blue label may be more appropriate as an aftershave since it's the astringent (first-aid) version, but the toner version works fine and the grocery store carries it. I keep a bottle of the blue label for non-face use (cuts, insect bites and other skin irritations).

I use Thayer's Lavender WH. The sent isn't the greatest, but it is great on my face. I follow up with some Jason's Aloe Vera moisturizer. I apply the moisturizer a little later in the morning. I find if I apply it right after the WH dries I get a bit of irritation.

Thayer's is a great product though.

see, I don't get it. If witch hazel, for all intents and purposes, provides the same function as an aftershave, then why apply aftershave AFTER Witch Hazel? Isn't the alcohol in the aftershave going to dry up everything that's been done by the witch hazel? I'm a newbie, so bear with me as I try to sort this out in my head, LOL!

Top Bottom