What's new

Surrey Soap

I was just looking at some Surrey soap on a barber supply site and was wondering if anyone has ever used it?

I was just looking at some Surrey soap on a barber supply site and was wondering if anyone has ever used it?

Hi there,

What you most likely saw was some pink VDH soap pucks. Yeah, VDH bought out Surrey a while back, and I believe the VDH Deluxe is what the current Surrey soap is now.

The older Surrey is a beige color, with a somewhat different design to the puck. I'll include a picture of them together, with the current version on the left.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Attachments

• $Surrey and VDH.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 124
If you can ever find the vintage Surrey shaving soap, it is good stuff indeed. I dunno about what is currently available.

Hi there,

What you most likely saw was some pink VDH soap pucks. Yeah, VDH bought out Surrey a while back, and I believe the VDH Deluxe is what the current Surrey soap is now.

The older Surrey is a beige color, with a somewhat different design to the puck. I'll include a picture of them together, with the current version on the left.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Nope definitely not VDH, because of your pic I know for certain it is Surrey and not VDH. The first soap I ever owned was VDH, I still use it as a matter of a fact. Thank you for the illustration though.

VDH bought Surrey 3-5 years ago. Surrey soap is no longer produced. Be aware, that just because the picture shows Surrey soap, that doesn't mean that is what you will receive.

One member bought some shaving soap from an online barber supply, and when it was shipped it ended up being plain old VDH Deluxe (despite being pictured as Surrey).

The online supply likely considered them to be functionally the same, and didn't bother to update the catalog description, and photos.

VDH bought Surrey 3-5 years ago. Surrey soap is no longer produced. Be aware, that just because the picture shows Surrey soap, that doesn't mean that is what you will receive.

One member bought some shaving soap from an online barber supply, and when it was shipped it ended up being plain old VDH Deluxe (despite being pictured as Surrey).

The online supply likely considered them to be functionally the same, and didn't bother to update the catalog description, and photos.

Good post,

That mighta been me who ordered a box of 'Surrey' pucks from a barber supply company, going by the picture shown. Turned out to be the current VDH pucks.

Best thing is to call or send the seller a message to confirm the soap being offered is the older version.

Here's a pic of what I received a while back, which wasn't what I was looking for.

Martin

Last edited:
Good post,

That mighta been me who ordered a box of 'Surrey' pucks from a barber supply company, going by the picture shown. Turned out to be the current VDH pucks.

Best thing is to call or send the seller a message to confirm the soap being offered is the older version.

Here's a pic of what I received a while back, which wasn't what I was looking for.

Martin

Did you send them back or are you keeping them?

Here is a pretty good discussion on Surrey from a while back. The stuff I have is a very good soap, I used it this morning. I believe it is a tallow soap because it looks, smells and feels identical to the vintage Williams I have.

Good post,

Martin

I think you got the VDH Deluxe pucks as well there. You may want to try it, I use VDH Deluxe and find it to be an excellent shave soap. Since it is a glycerin soap, do not soak it before loading your brush unless it is the first time using the puck or you have left it sit for a couple of weeks unused (it is totally unnecessary for this soap to be soaked daily as it is quite soft anyway) or your puck will only last 12-15 shaves.

I think you got the VDH Deluxe pucks as well there. You may want to try it, I use VDH Deluxe and find it to be an excellent shave soap. Since it is a glycerin soap, do not soak it before loading your brush unless it is the first time using the puck or you have left it sit for a couple of weeks unused (it is totally unnecessary for this soap to be soaked daily as it is quite soft anyway) or your puck will only last 12-15 shaves.

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I bought this soap a while back and have used some in the past. Yeah, it's a good product, especially for the price.

Martin

Top Bottom