What's new

The 2011 Academy Award Winners :-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Too bad that nobody took on my bet..."A Monkey to a Mouse Trap" (Churchill: A Life By Martin Gilbert, pg 701), A 'monkey' being britsh race track term for 500 and a 'mouse trap' is a british term for 1 sovereign = 500 to 1 odds, that 'The King's Speech' would take 'the lion's share' of awards tonight at the 2011 Academy Awards.

And the Oscar goes to...

Best Picture - "The King’s Speech".
proxy.php
proxy.php

Colin Firth - Best Actor, for "The King’s Speech".
proxy.php

proxy.php

Tom Hooper - Best Director, for "The King’s Speech".
proxy.php

David Seidler - Best Original Screenplay, for "The King's Speech".
proxy.php

Again, I strongly and really sympathise with this film (and King George VI), because I was also a stutterer as a young boy and I had to attend 'Special Ed' classes during the school day (and yes...being teased / labeled as being retarded...I fought alot to defend myself and honor).

I remember it was brutal and angonizing...the special schooling, teasing and trying to get my point across not to mention a crushing blow to my self-esteem and confidence :cursing:

Gradually, with training I did learn to overcome my disability as child, have led a very full and producitive life and have no fears of public speaking (I was an Instructor and Drill Sergeant in my Army days and give briefings at least once a week to the senior command and staff in my current Federal governmrnt position. :lol1:

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
I thought it would win, as well.

The show was horrible. Perhaps the worst I've ever seen. I like both James Franco and Anne Hathaway, but they were not good hosts. The highlight of the evening, for me, was Halle Berry, who must have discovered the fountain of youth. She looks better now than she did in the early 90's. The low point was, God bless him, Kirk Douglas. Wow, was that ever awkward. So much so that I had to leave the room I was cringing so badly.

I love the movies. I've watched the Academy Awards in its entirety pretty much every year since I was a little kid, but this may be it. It gets worse and worse every year.

I also loved the King's Speech, but is a tie considered the "lion's share"?

Inception won four as well. Speech's may have been in bigger categories, but it hardly ran away with the show.

Also, the hosting was the worst ever. I sincerely hoped Billy Crystal would finish the night out when he came on.

I thought the whole thing was bad. Not a memorable moment in the whole show. Aside from my personal predilection for Ms. Berry, the highlight of the show, for me, was the children singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

The problem is that the Academy wants to attract a younger audience without sacrificing the classiness and grandeur associated with the show. Meaning, they don't want to move it to South Beach and have everyone in cargo shorts. They've tried a number of things: edgy hosts like Chris Rock and Jon Stewart, expanding the number of Best Picture nominees to include commercial films, ditching the Academy president's lengthy speech and now bringing in young, recognizable actors to host.

I thought Hugh Jackman was a good host because: (1) he's an actor who was trained as a stage actor; (2) he's a talented song and dance guy; (3) he has a natural charm, classiness and is physically attractive; and (4) he didn't tell any stupid or one sided or political or crass or not very funny jokes.

I was gonna say that it was shockingly bad, but this has been coming. Like I said, I really didn't think there was a memorable moment in the whole thing. Maybe Melissa Leo swearing.

When it comes to the Oscars, George C. Scott had it right, "The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."

Neither do I. So I don't watch it.

I could not force myself to watch the awards show. They always seem dull and disappointing to me. I have not seen "The Kings Speech." I look forward to doing so.

2010 seems like a very good year for movies.

What was with Michelle Williams. I take it she was intentionally channeling Jean Seberg. A very disturbing persona to take on for an awards show.! I thought she was great in "Blue Valentine," but I did not expect her to win. I think Natalie Portman's 15 minutes are about up. I used to love her. Now she seems way over exposed and a little vacant. I admit I did not see "Black Swan" either!

While they were good movies, I don't feel The King's Speech or The Social Network are Oscar worthy.

I thought Winter's Bone was the most deserving of an Oscar for Best Picture & Best Actress, and The Fighter for Best Actor.

Last edited:
If they really want the ratings to go up they should ask Charlie Sheen to host next year. Boy, would that be interesting. :laugh:

Also, the hosting was the worst ever. I sincerely hoped Billy Crystal would finish the night out when he came on.

Ah...the days of Billy. I used to watch it just for him.

And what about that year they used Letterman.....what a joke (in a bad way).

Uma....Oprah. Oprah.....Uma............Paleeze!!!! :blushing:

When it comes to the Oscars, George C. Scott had it right, "The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."

Neither do I. So I don't watch it.

I agree with this to some extent. Really, it's a bunch of rich white people giving each other pats on the back for three hours. Still, I love movies and as it is the biggest public celebration of movies of the year, I watch it. Also, I enjoy seeing the winners' speeches. I don't know how much I agree with the handing out of awards, but the people that win are happy and I'm happy to see them happy. A lot of the show is manufactured glitz and glamor, but the emotions expressed by the winners, I would imagine, are genuine.

I agree with this to some extent. Really, it's a bunch of rich white people giving each other pats on the back for three hours. Still, I love movies and as it is the biggest public celebration of movies of the year, I watch it. Also, I enjoy seeing the winners' speeches. I don't know how much I agree with the handing out of awards, but the people that win are happy and I'm happy to see them happy. A lot of the show is manufactured glitz and glamor, but the emotions expressed by the winners, I would imagine, are genuine.
Ah yes. Time for affirmative action.

What was with Michelle Williams. I take it she was intentionally channeling Jean Seberg.!

I read a description of it as: "Judi Dench: The College Years."

I love movies but I hate awards shows. I don't begrudge the people in the movie industry having them--just about every profession has something like it. I'm sure they like getting a pat on the back, and it probably boosts their paychecks down the line too. I'm just not interested in watching. Even so, it was on the TV at my house last night. Everybody put a happy face on watching UFC 127 with me on Saturday, so I did my part on Sunday. Which is to say that I made an effort not to grumble as I fell asleep on the sofa.

I love movies but I hate awards shows. I don't begrudge the people in the movie industry having them--just about every profession has something like it. I'm sure they like getting a pat on the back, and it probably boosts their paychecks down the line too. I'm just not interested in watching. Even so, it was on the TV at my house last night. Everybody put a happy face on watching UFC 127 with me on Saturday, so I did my part on Sunday. Which is to say that I made an effort not to grumble as I fell asleep on the sofa.

A good idea would be to combine the Academy Awards and UFC. The actors could have a sort of battle royal for the award.

I want to add that I'm glad Trent Reznor won for The Social Network. I liked the theme a lot.

Excellent quip. I bet that is not the look MW was going for!

Seriously though, she must have had something in mind. I have to say though that I went from what an attractive and intelligent seeming actress from seeing her in "Blue Valentine" to crazy girl!

Top Bottom