Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artisan Shaving Soaps

Default Artisan Shaving Soaps

Does anyone have any thoughts on handmade, artisan shaving soaps? I'm a definite noobie, and one of the biggest draws of wet shaving for me is the variety of soaps & scents. I've ordered Spearmint scented artisan soap, with French clay. Admittedly, I have no idea what this means (French Clay), but I like the scent of Spearmint! Any thoughts, other than that my Dad would be disappointed in my desire to smell like anything other than Dial soap? Just kidding, but thats all he ever smelled like, and I feel a little girly checking out the various fragrances! Thanks for your input. (I HATE emoticons!)

Check out some of the vendors on here: Sue "Mama Bear" makes great glycerin based soaps with every scent under the sun (even bacon!). Wendy "Saint Charles Shave" has some on sale as far as I remember in the Vendors corner And Matthew "Queen Charlotte Soaps" ... Well... I've been wet shaving a good while now and in my opinion there simply doesn't not get better than his soaps for scent, lather and moisturising.

They are all wonderful people and more than happy to help You out personally.
    An rud is annamh, is iontach

Images

I would add Kell's Original. Great scents. The metal containers are a nice plus as well.
    Regards,
    MaxP

Images

Check out HoneyBee_Spa shave soaps. They are excellent, modest cost. Recommended.

-- John Gehman

Images

I'd say that any artisan soaper that's a participant here on B&B has a fine product.

There are others out there making great stuff, but the joker in the deck is the shaving soap that you might find at a craft fair...it might be great stuff, or it might not lather so well.

My undoubtedly flawed rule of thumb is to be very suspicious of any shaving soap that prominently features olive oil as an ingredient.
    "He must be a king. He hasn't got Williams all over 'im!" - cb91710
    I spend my knights at the Veg Table.

Images

Default Chelsea's Unscented Shave Soap :-)

I would add to the list Chelsea's Unscented Shave Soap. Moderately priced at $3.95 per puck w/ $3.50 USPS First Class Mail shipping (for the first puck and ¢75 for each additional puck), from Suwanee, GA, (purchased on Ebay…”augustine_9” is the Seller).

These light clear pucks are 2¾ inches in diameter across and weigh approximately 3 ½ ounces each. Although not being ‘tallow or milled’, after 3 months use, I do know that this Soap lasts a long time, though alittle softer soap than a few of the glycerin soaps (Van der Hagen, I’ve briefly used before).

These are glycerin-based soaps and according to Chelsea, the unscented puck is made with "Natural White Glycerin soap, French White Clay, Vitamin E and an amazing new product called Foaming Bath Butter". The foaming bath butter produces an incredible lather and each puck is made with high quality ingredients and processes using all natural Glycerin - no harsh chemicals to irritate my face which is ‘ideal’ for my sensitive skin.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=188885&highlight=chelsea%27s

Christopher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shave soap.jpg  
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

I would say, one thing to look for when buying an artisan soap (or any soap) is to make sure it's a shaving soap to start with. And look at the ingredient list. Things like Olive oil in the ingredients makes it difficult to lather. Sometimes, it doesn't lather at all...

Having said that, some soaps don't have "Shaving Soap" printed on the label and work well to shave with. Some soaps have "Shaving Soap" printed on the label and don't work well. I would suggest trying the product or look at the reviews if there's one.
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Hmmm. Buyer Beware and Have Fun!
    Eric V

i'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance. e. e. cummings

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxp View Post
    i would add kell's original. Great scents. The metal containers are a nice plus as well.
    +1
    -Rich-

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." Robert Frost

Start with a few from Mama Bear! You can't go wrong and you will have a standard to measure other soaps against. Mama Bear's soaps are fantastic and smell incredibly awesome beyond this World!
    Feather AS + Feather SS = BBS!

Just remember Mama Bear and you are home free.
    Dave

Here's a link to her shave soaps:

http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?...=index&cPath=1

Enjoy!
    Feather AS + Feather SS = BBS!

I've got a couple of MamaBear's Soaps on order and after hearing everyone's comments about them I'm drooling to finally try them.

It's going to be a long couple of days...
    Peter B. - "Woof, woof, woof, that's my other dog imitation."

Images

Mama Bear makes some good soaps. There are other artisan soaps, too. As Luc said just check the review.
    Jim P. - St. Petersburg, FL

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

Thanks for the suggestions. Checking several of these sites out now. I'll let you know how I make out. Oh, and Big Dog, awesome profile picture. I know what I'm watching tonight. Thanks, again!

Mongo don't know. Got to do with where choo choo go.

Be sure to check out the scene wear Gene Wilder is shaving with str8!
    Peter B. - "Woof, woof, woof, that's my other dog imitation."

Images

Shaving soaps are hard to make right, but that doesn't stop every soap maker out there from throwing some clay into the mix and selling it for shaving.

The basic rule with any vendor not known on the boards is "expect it to suck, be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't."
    Just call me Chris.

Prairie Creations is excellent.
    That ship has sailed.

I now have a larger source of shave soaps to select from. I knew I shouldn't have read the post. Oh well that is why I switched.

I have had great luck with evanest soaps on eBay, great customer service and a great product. I have a few different ones here, I remill them into a wooden dish and they work wonderful.
    [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3029425"]My last full photo spread[/URL] It's gotten a bit worse since then - Ken
    I Truly hope B&B makes a full recovery, I didn't realize how great the community was until it was gone.