What's new

Were there any Gillettes made in 1942 besides military production 3-piece techs?

I ask, because I'd love to get my dad a birth year razor, but I'd like to get him something a little nicer than that.

The 1941 Ranger Tech or the gold Milord might be a good idea. They were marketed for the 1941 Christmas season, but when the war broke out production was discontinued. If you look for one, be sure that you get the 1941 model and not the 1946 model, which has the endcaps on it.

The closest thing I've seen to a '42 TTO would be some of the Ranger and Milord Techs and a few Aristocrats that show signs of a hurried production.

These are pieces made from pre-war parts that may or may not have matching plating. Some do not seem to ever have had any plating in fact.

One theory is, when the war effort started, it was much like a game of musical chairs. When the music stopped civilian razors were rushed out the door made from parts that may or may not have been completely processed.

Since all this happened after Dec. 7th 1941, I would think these units are as close to a '42 as you might find.

The 1941 Ranger Tech or the gold Milord might be a good idea. They were marketed for the 1941 Christmas season, but when the war broke out production was discontinued. If you look for one, be sure that you get the 1941 model and not the 1946 model, which has the endcaps on it.

Just got one, that's what got me wondering about it. If it cleans up OK, I'll probably give it to him. Too bad his birthday is so far off, but Father's day is coming! I could add a badger brush and some nice soap, and make it a nice kit. I think it'll give a better shave than anything he's ever had since he was brought up on electrics and has always used a mix of electrics and carts, and he does appreciate stuff like that. When he turned 60 I gave him a 42 penny and he was very touched by the gesture.

The closest thing I've seen to a '42 TTO would be some of the Ranger and Milord Techs and a few Aristocrats that show signs of a hurried production.

These are pieces made from pre-war parts that may or may not have matching plating. Some do not seem to ever have had any plating in fact.

One theory is, when the war effort started, it was much like a game of musical chairs. When the music stopped civilian razors were rushed out the door made from parts that may or may not have been completely processed.

Since all this happened after Dec. 7th 1941, I would think these units are as close to a '42 as you might find.

My dad was also made for the christmas season in 1942, so I guess that is as close as I'll come.

My boss tells me he has a gold TTO in box with gold blade case that his mom bought for his dad when he went off to WWII. I'm thinking that must have been a 1941 Aristocrat, and musta been pretty tough for her to acquire especially since he tells me she didn't have a lot of money.

That was common in other industries that production continued into early 1942 as the war effort geared up. Probably whatever was sold in 1941 could have been made in early 1942 as well.....

Cool, then assuming it cleans up nice enough I'll call the Ranger Tech close enough and give it to my dad as a birth year razor. If not I'll find something he'll think is nice and not worry about birth year. I'm thinking he might do better with a milder razor anyway, so maybe it'll be a 50s style Super Speed.

Top Bottom