What's new

Smoothest Shave

Recently, I met up with an old friend who came back from a trip to South and Central America. He is not an aficionado of wet shaves - yet. However, while there he went to a barber shop and got what he said was the smoothest shave he has ever had - and it was done with a straight. I am in the process of trying to get him to give up the canned goo and cart - but I have my work cut out.

He said the barber mixed some soap and cream and applied it to his face first by massaging it onto his face in a thin layer. He then applied a hot towel and then re-lathered and then got his shave. The barber did a two pass shave with a straight razor. (The barber kept the blade of the straight soaking in a solution which probably was barbicide or some similar product).

Based on his description I thought I would try this in my a.m. shave. First, I washed my face. I then made up an uberlather of MWF, Proraso, and glycerin and applied a thin layer of it to my face. I massaged it into my beard for about a minute, used a hot towel for a minute, washed it off, and splashed hot water on my face. I then applied some T&H pre-shave oil, lathered and did a four pass shave.

The shave was incredibly smooth and my face felt great afterward. I used some Thayers and my face was so smooth and felt so good there was no need to put on an ASB - but I did so anyway!

I will try the same technique on Monday - but will try the Proraso with Cella and make it an Italian shave!

I believe it's all about the prep. Send more Tim here and your shaves will be better. Congrats on your great shave.

Very similar to what I do. I got the technique from the tutorials, wikis, somewhere, but it was from this site. As you wrote a great shave results, and heck, it just plain feels good.

BTW, the process of prepping the beard is very similar to what happens in the felting process, where one gets hair to mat together into felt. Folks have been doing this in one form or another for thousands of years.

This is very similar to the process done by the T&H barber in Mantic's Video. Mantic describes this process somewhat with the barber in the video, if i'm not mistaken.

I do this everytime I shave, and get fantastic results. I'm sure I read something similar to this in one of the tutorials here. The only difference is after I lather my face up, I let it sit for a minute or two, then use the brush to massage the lather into my beard some more and then the hot towel. Then re-lather and shave.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Kyle's Prep.
ProphetNoir:
+ 1 for Kyle's Prep. :yesnod:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9745

Christopher
proxy.php

As I understand Kyle's prep, you use the brush to apply lather onto your face. In this method you take your hand and get some lather from the brush and gently massage a thin layer of lather on your face. The massage lasts about a minute and the hot towel also about a minute or so. Just a little bit different.

Tried it today with Cella, Proraso, and glycerin and felt great. Very smooth shave.

As I understand Kyle's prep, you use the brush to apply lather onto your face. In this method you take your hand and get some lather from the brush and gently massage a thin layer of lather on your face.

Potayto potahto :001_smile The key is getting the lather on beard and letting it work for a few minutes, how you do that is secondary.

Top Bottom