What's new

Flakes; folding and smoking; what's the secret?

Since discovering the Franks Method a few years ago I've never used any other method to fill my pipe and its become an exquisite pleasure, with almost no attention needed after the post-charring light apart from a little compression halfway through,but I'd really like to give the old fold & smoke style a try, to discover the different tones and flavours in my tobaccos. Unfortunately, the last few times I did this, I found it impossible to keep the tobacco burning uniformly, one side burning well and the other refusing to light and got blockages in the flu, resulting in a mess needing so many relights it wasn't even fun. Any tips from folders out there?

Folding a stuffing technique varies with the density of the flake but essential i fold a flake in half across its length, than again across its width. the flake is than rolled between the fingers to lossen it up and put in the pipe. You need to be careful that you're not wedging it in at the sides of the bowl it should set in easily. you also want to judge howl much you'll need so that it isn't towering out of the bowl. I than use my thumb to gently rub around the top of the tobacco to provide an even lighting surface. I keep a square of leather at my desk that I fold my flakes over, a paper towel works well, to catch the crumbs. I use the crumbs over the top to act as a bit of kindling. The problem you describe could come from not loosening the flake enough before stuffing, or stuffing too tightly. There is a video posted in the GE sticky that shows this probably better than I can put to words.

I like to rub out flakes. Fold and stuff never gave me a uniform burn. What you can do is fold the flake up, then put it into the palm of your hand and use the other palm to roll the flake like a ball. Once you get a uniform ball, stuff it into the pipe and then lay the pipe aside for a few hours (for the baccy to dry a bit). Then smoke.

I'm pretty much a noob at this but I just fold my University Flake a couple of times, give a gentle twist or two to loosen, and stick it in the bowl. Takes some effort to get going but then it burns long and slow. For some reason, I find the flavors to generally be more pronounced this way. I use a very similar strategy with coins.

I think I probably was being a bit greedy, stuffing as much as I could in there. I'll loosen the flake slightly and update. The Franks Method is something every pipe-smoker should know, though many people might have come to a similar method through experience.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
i fold a flake in half across its length, than again across its width. the flake is than rolled between the fingers to lossen it up and put in the pipe.

I fold it the other way, with the grain first and than against the grain, when it is done this way there leaves an air space in the bottom due to the tobacco being folded against the grain.

It also helps to sprinkle some fine loose pieces on top to help get an even burn and then use the poker part of a czech to work the tobacco away from the sides of the pipes as it burns

I fold it the other way, with the grain first and than against the grain, when it is done this way there leaves an air space in the bottom due to the tobacco being folded against the grain.

It also helps to sprinkle some fine loose pieces on top to help get an even burn and then use the poker part of a czech to work the tobacco away from the sides of the pipes as it burns

That's what I was trying to say, probably didn't do it very well. As a matter of fact, rereading my post I'm sure I didn't. Anyway do this.

Just discovered the folding method a few days ago, I'd been breaking it up gently and rolling it between my fingers.

The fold, twist and stuff does work a treat.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm pretty much a noob at this but I just fold my University Flake a couple of times, give a gentle twist or two to loosen, and stick it in the bowl. Takes some effort to get going but then it burns long and slow. For some reason, I find the flavors to generally be more pronounced this way. I use a very similar strategy with coins.

I haven't tried this yet with coins. Got any tips?

I haven't tried this yet with coins. Got any tips?

Sure. I just take a couple depending on the size of the coin and pipe and stack them. You can either roll them up like a cigar or fold in a cone like a coffee filter. Then get to stuffing!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sure. I just take a couple depending on the size of the coin and pipe and stack them. You can either roll them up like a cigar or fold in a cone like a coffee filter. Then get to stuffing!

Just finished a bowl of Navy Deluxe in a MM General using this technique. :thumbup:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Did it work out well for you?

Yes it did. The General could have easily held two coins, but one was enough tonight. I probably should have used the Missouri Pride for just one.

I got about an hour out of a single coin and it gave some really nice smoke. The flavor became very rich and kind of nutty as it burned down.

Steve, I'm in Glasgow too. May I ask where you get your tobacco from? online or meatspace?

I've been working in Eastern China for the past 10 months and only just discovered a decent place to get tobacco from. But, since the demise of Herbert Love near Goerge Sqre, a new 24 hour place has opened right next to it or possibly even in the same unit, which sells some decent tobaccos- don't get the loose stuff tho as their scales are skelly and they really don't know anything about pipes or tobacco, so its pointless asking them for advice on a new blend. They had some old H. Love stock briars last time I looked too, with H. Love price-stickers on them, so assuming they haven't cynically put some more expensive ones on, you could get a good deal on a pipe. There's also a place in the Salt Market, right at the Gallowgate, which sells Uni Flake and Irish Flake as well as some others, mostly aromatics. When I want something special I go to or call The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh. Its on Leith Walk, right down the bottom end, near the harbour and sells a lot of good tobacco and decent pipes, ran by an old guy who's just perfect for the role. Please note, unless they've changed their procedures, they keep your card details on file and have little option but to set up an account. This is very convenient, but if you have security fears this might be a reason to go to Edinburgh and pay cash.
Also, their website does have a lot of tobaco and info on it, but the postage isn't tallied in the final amount after all your details and invoice has been calculated. This isn't a big deal, as I got 2 tins of Mick McQuaide's square Cut sent for under twenty quid.
wwww.thepipeshop.co.uk

Last edited:
Top Bottom